computer heating my room

Nich__

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
My room is a lot hotter that the rest of the house and what is worse is it is really dry. So I can do work on my computer I have to drink several more bottles of water than normal. Is it because I have a liquid CPU cooler?

Solution
The nice thing about electrical inefficiency here is that the waste product is...heat. So for an electric heater? Pretty much a win all around. More expensive heaters may not be any more efficient, but hopefully they include more safety features than can be found in a $10 heater.

Water cooling would make a room slightly warmer (very, very slightly) but only because they're using more electricity to power a pump.

Getting back to the OP, another thing to look at is the efficiency of your PSU at your loads. A more efficient PSU means less waste heat. It's a cheaper upgrade than mobo + CPU and you can migrate it into your next build. Not to mention use less electricity and save money over the long run. If your PSU isn't at least Bronze...
The heat output of your PC depends on the components, not the cooling. What the cooling does is move the heat from point A (various components) to point B (atmosphere) in order to prevent your components from frying themselves. If you want it to output less heat you'll need components that do not output as much heat.

Valiera

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
This reminds me of my build. There really isn't much you can do but turn of your PC when not in use and don't use heavily demanding applications. But if that stuff isn't and option you could do like I did and go and get a window mounted ac. Fixed my issue right up. May not be practical but works like a charm. Now I can stay cool and run my PC at its peak performance point.

Sure it will. If you're sweating, the phase change of liquid to gas on your skin absorbs heat and cools you off. This is why we sweat. If you're sweating heavily, you become dehydrated and possibly sick with insufficient water.

@OP, what components do you have in your system? It's possible that a few inexpensive replacements will greatly improve your comfort.

I understood it as literally working on their computer like opening it up, and the dry as static electricity.

Nich__

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016

FX 8320 geforce 790 and geforce 1070

I'm wondering the same thing myself.

@OP, AMD's FX CPUs are notoriously power hungry and hot. Moving to a Core i5 would drop your computer's power usage in half while improving performance, and moving to a Core i3 would cut it by about 2/3 while keeping performance about the same (on average). Two video cards does not help either, but you have two of the more efficient cards out there, so if you need two, you couldn't do much better.

Depending on what power supply you have, moving to a more efficient model (e.g. 80 Plus Platinum) can help significantly too.

LogicalProcessing

Honorable
May 22, 2014
Moving from a AMD to Intel would have to have a change in motherboard as well. I can't imagine the PC is producing enough heat to heat a room significantly enough to make you drink a dozen bottles of water. I mean...mine used to before I discovered water cooling but it only heated the room another 2-3 degrees F.

Watercooling doesn't change how much heat your computer dumps into your room.

When I changed out my Q6600 (175w idle) for the i5 in my signature (35w idle) the temperature of my dorm room dropped over 10F.

LogicalProcessing

Honorable
May 22, 2014

In theory, it makes your system run cooler and prevents a massive amount of hot air from being dumped by your PC.

What theory?

Your processor runs cooler because there's a smaller temperature gradient between the CPU die and the outside air, but the CPU is generating the same amount of heat, and it ends up in the room at the same rate.

My mother-in-law bought a $300 1500w electric heater because she thought it would warm her house better than a $10 1500w electric heater. It was much bigger and more expensive and made more noise... but ultimately, 1500w is 1500w and it all goes to the same place at the same rate. Energy in = energy out.

LogicalProcessing

Honorable
May 22, 2014

Well if you live by that principle then all your stuff must be really cheap. It is all on quality, how well does the $10 convert 1500w compared to that $300 1500w heater?

Exactly the same. They both produce exactly 1500w of heat. That's how resistive heating works, and CPUs are basically resistive heaters. It doesn't matter what you have stuck on top of it, the same amount of heat will get dumped into the air.

The nice thing about electrical inefficiency here is that the waste product is...heat. So for an electric heater? Pretty much a win all around. More expensive heaters may not be any more efficient, but hopefully they include more safety features than can be found in a $10 heater.

Water cooling would make a room slightly warmer (very, very slightly) but only because they're using more electricity to power a pump.

Getting back to the OP, another thing to look at is the efficiency of your PSU at your loads. A more efficient PSU means less waste heat. It's a cheaper upgrade than mobo + CPU and you can migrate it into your next build. Not to mention use less electricity and save money over the long run. If your PSU isn't at least Bronze rated it could make a big difference going up to Gold.

Solution