Question Computer 'hitching'

Jul 27, 2020
3 years ago I built my 4th PC, and about 1.5 years ago i started experiencing what i describe as 'hitching'. After a fresh reboot, If we were in a MMORPG and marching, every 3 minutes ( i have timed this) my character would stop for about 1/10 of a second and fall one step behind and out of step. After another 3 minutes, it would happen again, etc. As the computer stays on longer this 'hitch' becomes longer. After 3 hours it is .25 second, after a day, 1 second, after 3 days 6 seconds etc.

So when the shutdown started i decided to roll up my sleeves, spend money if needed and get rid of this hitch.

So here is what i started with:
Asus RampageVII Apex motherboard
Intel I9 7980XE
64 GB Corsair 2666MHZ DDR4
2- 1TB Samsung 960 Evo Pro NVME in raid 0
1 - MSI Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPU
Thermaltak water cooling/fan/radiator etc
Corsair AXi 1200 power supply
1- Asus wide screen monitor
1 - LG 4k monitor
Comcast modem DOCSIS 4.0 with up down typically around 325/50
Asus Nighthawk Wireless Router

Here is a list of things i have done to fix the problem: (none have worked)

Replaced GPU with RTX 2070 super
Replaced Monitors with new LG 144hz gaming monitor and new display cable
Purchased 1200W power conditioner for PC
Purchased new DOCSIS 4.1 modem and upgraded to 1gb
Swapped my original router with a different one ( after it failed to fix issue i put original back in place)
Bypassed Router all together
Fresh install of Windows on Raid 0
Fresh install of Windows on Drive 1
Fresh install of Windows on Drive 2
Reinstall Windows Raid 0
Remove all RAM, test stick by stick
Purchased and installed 64gb Gskill Trident 4000HZ DDR4
Purchased MSI MG ACE z490 motherboard
Purchased Intel i9 10900k
Purchased 2- 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME
Installed above using Gskill DDR4 and 2070 Super
Fresh install of Windows

And the 'hitch' is still there and continues to get worse as the computer stays on.

I currently am waiting on Corsair to respond back on a possible test/RMA of the power supply

But i spent 6k 3 years ago on top components, and another 4k this year basically building a new computer
and i still have not fixed the problem

to me it is either the power supply or a ghost,
does anyone else have any ideas??

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Use Reliability History and Event Viewer to look for errors, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the hitches. The 3 minute timing may be readily apparent if you find something.

Likewise use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Look for some change that happens at the 3 minute "mark".

Router's logs (if available) and enabled may provide a clue.

Check in Task Manager and Task Scheduler for some unexpected or unknown app being run.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Hitching is usually caused by unstable overclocking, high temps, or unoptimized games.

So can you specify If the hitching happens with all games and do you experience it in single player titles? And what about your thermals?

Jul 27, 2020
Is have repeated looked at the event viewer, nothing is happening every 3 minutes.
I do not overclock
It happens in all games and appications, even in Word, excel etc. including applications that do not need internet

Jul 27, 2020
Temps are normal in the low 40’s peaking in game in the 50’s. 60 or above is abnormal unless doing some sort of a stress or performance test.
Nothing is apparent in resource manager, there are no spikes every 3 minutes.
also something I believe is important here is that the problem gets worse over time, going from a .1 sec hitch to over 6 seconds if the computer is left on for 3-4 days. But it immediatley goes back to .1 sec after reboot.