[SOLVED] Computer hitting BSOD when using USB WIFI dongle after Windows 10 Upgrade

May 31, 2020
Hi everyone, I hope everybody is keeping safe in this Pandemic, I am new to the forums so please excuse my ignorance if I get something wrong.

I built my machine a few years ago which I was happy with, it was running Windows 7 Pro just fine, I was using a LAN cable for my internet connection until last year where I purchased a WIFI dongle from amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dongle-USB...hild=1&keywords=lonosun&qid=1590929276&sr=8-1

The drivers for the dongle installed fine on my Windows 7 Pro and I was using that till now without any issues.

My specs are:
Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 5
CPU: I5 4670K
RAM: 8GB
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780

Yesterday I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 for better security and in order to upgrade to an NVME SSD.

I downloaded the media creation tool from the Microsoft website and attempted to upgrade whilst keeping my files and apps however, I just couldn't get past the last page where it checks for updates and checks my system before starting the installation process. I attempted this several times by restarting my pc, taking out the WIFI dongle and trying a few other tricks but nothing worked other than downloading the image file and installing it from the downloaded setup whilst my WIFI dongle was disconnected.

Fast forward to now, I have Windows 10 Pro installed. My files and apps are there and most basic functions seem to be working okay but I tried inserting my WIFI dongle and I get the BSOD with an error code netr28ux.sys

After some digging I figured this is related to the drivers of the device so I uninstalled all drivers relating to wireless LAN, I then reconnected the device, it installed its prebuilt drivers and BSOD again. I tried different USB slots but no luck. I had another spare WIFI dongle which I connected and that seemed to work.

What I don't understand is that this was working perfectly with Windows 7 before and only started showing problems now.

I have uploaded memory dump files, one of them small memory and one kernel I think.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/81...7213a13dc8b99949186c856b20200531123700/e61826

Please help me solve this issue as I am going crazy with trial and error.

Solution
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://cannulargreenlanddog.htmlpasta.com/

File information:053120-6453-01.dmp (May 31 2020 - 08:24:58)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for netr28ux.sys
Probably caused by:netr28ux.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File information:053120-5453-01.dmp (May 31 2020 - 07:18:11)
May 31, 2020
That dongle probably just doesn't work on Windows 10. No drivers for it.

Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 is not recommended. A full clean install of Windows 10 is better. No traces of old Windows 7 drivers etc.
Thank you for the reply, the dongle is advertised as supported by Windows 10.
I did prefer a clean install however There were several apps which I did not want to lose the data.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Errors or unexpected restarts for some devices using Always On, Always Connected
Some devices using the Always On, Always Connected feature might have compatibility issues with Windows 10, version 2004 (the Windows 10 May 2020 Update). Affected devices will have more than one Always On, Always Connected capable network adapter, such as the Microsoft Surface Pro 7 and Microsoft Surface Laptop 3, and might receive errors or unexpected shutdown or restart.

To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with affected drivers or firmware from being offered Windows 10, version 2004.

Affected platforms:
  • Client: Windows 10, version 2004

Next steps: We are working on a resolution and estimate a solution will be available in mid-June.

Note We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#421msgdesc

another possible reason

i will get someone to read dumps anyway

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://cannulargreenlanddog.htmlpasta.com/

File information:053120-6453-01.dmp (May 31 2020 - 08:24:58)
Probably caused by:netr28ux.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File information:053120-5453-01.dmp (May 31 2020 - 07:18:11)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

Comments:
  • The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)
  • The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Possible Motherboard page: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/z97-gaming-5.html
There might be a BIOS update for you. I say might because you have version 1.13 installed, and yet that version is not listed on the above motherboard page. Also, the latest is version 1.D and almost matches the date of the BIOS you have installed. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Last edited:
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
May 17 2016netr28ux.sysRalink Wireless Adapter driver
that doesn't seem right... the driver is described as Ralink 802.11n Wireless Adapter Driver
But the advertisements show the Device should be 802.11ac

I saw an almost identical wifi dongle like that recently that used realtek chipset.

perhaps the drivers are from a previous wifi device?