Computer Home Theater Experts...advice needed

Intrepid4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi all,

I have a quick question about DVD/CD-RW combo drives, the HP 9900Ci that I am thinking of purchasing. My question doesn't have to do with this drive in particular but rather with DVD drives in general. I am excited about finally being able to watch DVD's for the first time on my comp. The problem though, is that I have a SB live X-gamer (not 5.1) and FPS 2000 digital speakers.

With a DVD drive and the above mentioned setup, how much of the true surround sound experience do you think that I would be missing out on?? Would it be possible for you to estimate percentage wise? (ex only 85% of total effect) Is it even worth getting a DVD drive, if I don't even have a five speaker system or 5.1 soundcard?? Would it still be possible to get surround sound with only 4 speakers?? I am concerned that it might just be better to wait until I upgrade my entire system (speakers, soundcard etc.) before I spend money on a DVD drive so that I get the maximum effect possible.

I hope that I am being understandable and clear enough in my description. If not just let me know.

Thanks much everyone for offering your advice to this confused individual new to the DVD realm!!

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I think you'll be experiencing around 80% of the true surround sound since 20% x 5 = 100%. The center channel on a 5.1 set up is very noticable and important in dialogue-heavy movies.
Is it a waste for you and your 4.1 speakers when watching a DVD? Well it depends if your an audiophile or not (and it sounds like your not). So NO, it will not be a waste. I garauntee you will have a great experience with your movies and current sound set-up.
What you can do to achieve a "virtual" 5.1 set-up is to get a 5.1 sound card and set your 4.1 speakers to produce a "phantom center" using the 2 front speakers. This is not better than a true 5.1 set-up, but I bet you will not notice it since your not an audiophile.
Also, if you got the money, go ahead and upgrade everything...otherwise, you'll be happy with your current sound set-up while watching DVDs.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

IronManRR

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2001
Well the thing is, the sound is Better when its the speaker that is decoding the 5.1. Sound card dont do it really, plus they cant do DTS which is coming very popular this days. Quiet frankly I recommand having the Hollywood Plus to watch DVD...not because there is a difference betwwen image quality, but because the sound is much better. Like Stick_e_Mouse said, the difference between 4.1 and 5.1 is the central speaker wich do mostly just the dialogue....but surround comes more from the back righ and left speakers...if ur into action movies. Ur soud card is pretty good as long as u can get digital out to hook it to an external decoder that does 5.1 and\or DTS. Trust me there is a huge difference between software 5.1 and hardware 5.1 decoding!!!

Anyway as long as u have a good subwoofer for the big BOOM in action movies it is okay!!!

I watch DVDs using my Hollywood Plus with analog speaker connection reard and front, and because its my H+ that is doing the decoding (5.1 only), the sound is just fabulous on my ACS56 4.1

The Bodybuilder computer Geek!!
It is better to die on ur feet then lives on ur knees.

G

if you want the best effect for sound wait for the nforce and upgrade yer puter too.

Who ever said my skills were <i>fair</i>.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
There are rumors that NForce will scrap the on board Digital Decoding to make it cheaper, so you may not want to wait for it.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

TRENDING THREADS