[SOLVED] Computer I built won’t turn on for first time, only displays yellow/orange light on MOBO when power switch on back of PSU flipped.

WhipcatMetre

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
Recently finished my first PC build, and have got it all together and built. However the computer won’t turn on when the power button is pressed, no response at all from fans or anything. The only sign of life I get is a yellow/orange light around the gpu slots and lower left hand side of the motherboard when I turn the PSU switch on when it is connected to power. I have tried testing it with each different ram stick as well as with and without the gpu, each time no change, same response with the light and nothing else. I have checked all cables routing from PSU to various modules and from the case into the motherboard (usbs, power, reset etc) and all appears to be correctly connected. I have tested the PSU using a paper clip on the 24 pin cable and it works fine, and have tested it with the case’s fans and it works fine too, making the front and back fans on the case light up and run as well as making the cpu fan run, and when connected to the HDD using the paper clip test method the HDD can be heard running as well. Thoroughly stumped here, any help would be much appreciated - thanks in advance :). My PC Parts are as follows:

Network Interface Card: GIGABYTE GC-WB1733D-I Wireless-AC PCI-E Network Interface Card
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING X Graphics Card 6 GB GDDR6, 1830 Hz, RGB Mystic Light, 3 x DisplayPort, HDMI, Dual Fan Cooling System MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING X Graphics Card 6 GB GD...
RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200Mhz
Monitor: AOC g2260Vwq6 21.5 AOC g2260Vwq6 21.5" Widescreen TN LED Black/Red Monitor (1920x1080)
Case: DeepCool TX Mid Tower TESSERACT SW DeepCool TX Mid Tower TESSERACT SW
SSD: Western Digital Green 240 GB Internal SSD M.2 SATA Western Digital Green 240 GB Internal SSD M.2 SATA
HDD: Seagate 1 TB BarraCuda 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive (7200 RPM, 64 MB Cache, SATA 6 Gb/s, Up to 210 MB/s, Model: ST1000DMZ10/DM010) Seagate 1 TB BarraCuda 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
PSU: Corsair VS650 650 W Active PFC 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Unit - Black Corsair VS650 650 W Active PFC 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply
Keyboard: Logitech G213 Prodigy Gaming Keyboard, RGB Backlit, Qwerty UK Layout, Black Logitech G213 Prodigy Gaming Keyboard, RGB Backlit, Qwerty UK Language
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-PLUS ATX Motherboard, AMD Socket AM4, Ryzen 3000 Ready, PCIe 3.0, M.2, DDR4, LAN, HDMI, DVI-D, USB 3.1, Aura Sync RGB Header ASUS Prime B450-PLUS ATX Motherboard, AMD Socket AM4, Ryzen 3000...
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with Wraith Stealth Cooler YD2600BBAFBOX

WhipcatMetre

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
you'll need a GPU as there's no onboard graphics with your CPU - also start off with 1 stick of RAM for simplicity
I figured there might not be. I will try each stick of ram individually again and see if that makes a difference. Have you got any idea what the orange/yellow led means? - I couldn’t find what it meant in the manual. Thanks for your help so far :)

I don't own that particular board, but I'm guessing you're referring to the trace lighting along the edge of the motherboard and not discrete LED's right? that's purely decorative and indicates power to the motherboard at least, have that with a different ASUS board

Did you plug in the 4/8 pin ATX/EPS plug in addition to 20-pin motherboard power plug?

I figured there might not be. I will try each stick of ram individually again and see if that makes a difference. Have you got any idea what the orange/yellow led means? - I couldn’t find what it meant in the manual. Thanks for your help so far :)

WhipcatMetre

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
I don't own that particular board, but I'm guessing you're referring to the trace lighting along the edge of the motherboard and not discrete LED's right? that's purely decorative and indicates power to the motherboard at least, have that with a different ASUS board

Did you plug in the 4/8 pin ATX/EPS plug in addition to 20-pin motherboard power plug?
You mean the power cable labelled CPU with 8 pins that you plug in by the CPU? (For me it is 8 pins, as I believe it it ranges per motherboard and PSU) Yeah, I’ve plugged that and everything else to the best of my knowledge in to no avail. It is just trace lighting down the side - thanks for the clarification on that :)

yep, and plugged the PCI-e Cable into the GTX 1660?

did you hook up the speaker - any beeps?

You mean the power cable labelled CPU with 8 pins that you plug in by the CPU? (For me it is 8 pins, as I believe it it ranges per motherboard and PSU) Yeah, I’ve plugged that and everything else to the best of my knowledge in to no avail. It is just trace lighting down the side - thanks for the clarification on that :)

WhipcatMetre

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
yep, and plugged the PCI-e Cable into the GTX 1660?

did you hook up the speaker - any beeps?
Yeah, I did plug in the PCI-e cable though it was weird - my gpu is a 8 pin and the cord was 6+2 so I just combined the two on the end so all the slots on the gpu PCI-e port were filled. However the cable had another end/PCI-e plug (I assume for another gpu if you were to have one) but I wasn’t sure which one to use or if it matters so I plugged it into the first connecter on the cable. I am not sure what you mean by speaker - do you mean the hd audio port? I‘ve heard nothing, no beeping or anything, from the PC if that is the case

there usually is a detachable speaker (4-port connector connected to a little drum)
61Pw9fCT2VL._AC_UL160_.jpg