Computer in a house that was in a fire

nveleroni

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
Recently my house caught fire, however my PC was in a room that was not affected by the flames. However smoke, heat and water got to it. My PC was a relatively decent i7 custom build. I'm wondering if I could save money by salvaging some of the parts without risking damage to new hardware.

I took everything apart and cleaned off the smoke and soot. I'm not interested in replacing the motherboard, CPU, heatsink, and power supply based off of the poor condition that they appear. However the RAM, hard drives (2 mechanical 1 ssd) and optical drives appear undamaged and normal. I'm not sure about the graphics card because I noticed some rust on the screws and backplate.

I'm ready to purchase a new PC and don't want to break the bank if I don't have to. Thanks

Solution
You should definitely at least try to salvage your CPU, RAM, GPU, and disks. Even if they are not functional, they will not cause damage to other components. There is no way to know whether or not they will work until you test them. Clean them off with some rubbing alcohol and make sure that you dry them thoroughly.
You should definitely at least try to salvage your CPU, RAM, GPU, and disks. Even if they are not functional, they will not cause damage to other components. There is no way to know whether or not they will work until you test them. Clean them off with some rubbing alcohol and make sure that you dry them thoroughly.

Solution