Computer in autorepair loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

This is 2014 Haswell 4770K computer that never had any problems. Also on different occasions, after it wakes up from sleep, it would not connect to display/monitor. I kind of used to it. I believe it was doing it when I used HDMI in/out, last few years it works with Display port and 2 monitors through KVM switch. I think it is graphics card that would not fire up after awakening- I have some AMD middle grade gaming card like Radeon 7870 from 2014.

So today as I was walking in the room, it fell asleep and I wanted to wake it up, it would run fans and do it normal thing, but monitor would not come on, so I hit Reset. I have done it many many many times- I did it earlier this morning. But this time it went in to "Attempt to repair" mode and would not boot to Windows. So what is the best way to come out of it?

I should have old SSD in it- I cloned C drive few years ago (or did I clean install? Not sure) and kept old drive inside. I did not boot to it in a while. I could probably boot to it, and see if I can copy personal files from newer C drive. But I really dont have time to reinstall Windows and do clean install and deal with all the drivers installation again. Is there any better way to get it out of Repair loop? I find it hard to believe that Windows got corrupted from Reset. I don't think it was installing any updates.

Yep- it boots from old 220GB drive- at least I know it is not Motherboard or Memory. I have 1TB ADATA for C drive that can't boot. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Oct 23, 2018
OK so i had this same problem and didn't solve it but i can help you get as far as I have and maybe we can brain tank a solution from there. You'll wanna download a boot disk from this website onto a USB.(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/Windows) plug it into your broken laptop while it is off. Then turn it on while holding your bios button (for me its f2) then direct yourself to your boot settings there will be 2 boot options and you'll want to set boot option 1 to your USB (boot option 2 will automatically set itself to windows) then go and save and exit. Then PC will then boot your USB and give you the option to either install windows our repair your PC. I would start with the repair window. If your lucky (or smart) you can then load a restore point and problem solved. If your not then you'll wanna try a few different commands in the command prompt to try to find corrupted files or at least figure out where your current windows is downloaded. I tried downloading a fresh copy of windows and this got me to a blue screen with an error code which would be a good next step for you because then you could get more specific with your diagnosis. It didn't fix my problem however as it refuses to clean wipe my PC and when I try to do it manually it crashes. Maybe you'll get lucky. Also if your only goal is to get into windows from the trouble shoot menu then you can just click either continue to windows or choose an alternate OS to launch which becomes available when you have multiple windows installations on your PC. Sorry its not a full answer but it should help you get an error code which will help.

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for your reply. The ling you provided does not work. I have old boot USBs with like last year builds- would they work for repair? It is Desktop, by the way- it is Custom Built Haswell 4770K. Also I have 2 boot drives in this computer- the old one is working, but that drive is old and small. So you mean set boot priority? I can just use Boot overwrite to go to USB. I am afraid- because I have 2 boot drives, if I change Boot priority, how would it know which drive to fix?

Also I can already access the advance settings where I can try Restore point. What happens is that when I but to main Boot drive, it attempts to repair itself, then fails, and then there advanced options, and it offers me to restore from previous restore point. I did not try that yet. I don't think I need boot USB to do Restore point. Restore points are saved on the system.

My Windows should be downloaded in Normal location as it was clean install, I believe (not a clone of old drive). I know it is not hardware issue, because everything works fine from old drive. My goal is to make newer drive work again without reinstalling Windows because old drive cant install updates- no more space. So I can access alternate Windows, but not sure how this can help me solve main Windows issue.

So... Should I try to run Restore point? Without USB Boot drive? Thanks.

Oct 23, 2018
are you saying you have 2 boot disks? or 2 separate OS that each have their own files. sorry ive been using the term boot drive but a more accurate term is media creation tool. But if you can get to the advanced menu without it then its only necessary if your going for a clean install. Other wise i would try to acess a restore point and i believe it will let you choose wich OS to restore if you have multiple OS's

Oct 23, 2018
if it doesnt then i would try to find that media creation tool as it will let you choose and give you access to a clean wipe wich is what I ended up having to do but my problem ended up having an endless number of problem after problem from what I can only guess to be an auwful case of corrupted bios stuff. Its worse case scenario so hopefully youll be fine. Im going offline so goodluck. If you do decide to do it, here is that link again hopefully it works along with another link that shows how to completley wipe your computer if it comes to that. Though it sounds like you probably have some connections to stuff in there. But through the advanced set up you should be ablle to get into windows to make a back up before you have to do anything.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft ware-download/windows10

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win dows/forum/windows_10-wind ows_install/clean-install-windows-1 0/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17 378d93e587

Also here is a link to my forum post if you are interested in seeing everything I did. I don't think it will be helpful but you never know.

http://www.tomshardw are.com/forum/id-380 9031/blue-scree n-boot-working-res et-fails.html

(I put random spaces in the link so they wont cut off with the 3 dots. That should help them work you'll just have to delete the spaces.)

Anyways good luck if I think about it later ill check in to see how you did so keep the thread updated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.