Computer instant rebooting w/ no BSOD at random times.

Foxraider101

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Hey there, not sure what category to put this under as I'm still not sure what the issue originates from, though I think it's my PSU.

In short, my computer's been rebooting on its own at random times; this includes when I'm playing a game, writing on a document or even letting it idle. It can even happen before I've signed myself into Windows. It's happened more recently after I've installed an audio interface for my microphone, and more frequently-still once I replaced my old headphones with newer ones.

I thought it may have been Windows 10 for a while, but I'm leaning towards my PSU due to the fact that it's gotten worse as I've added more to my computer. The last update I received for Windows 10 was "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200)" but it was doing this before the update came about. Another thing to note is that since I started using my new headphones, as my computer reboots I get a terribly loud buzzsaw-esque noise coming from my headphones for a second before instantly turning back on with no problem. Windows 10 is installed on my SSD, for reference, and recently I had to remove all USB devices in order for it to start up. Since then it's been fine starting up, though.

I'll put my specs below, but thank you in advance for any help. Please let me know if any more information is needed for a potential diagnosis.

ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
AMD FX-6300 Black Edition 6-Core Socket AM3+ CPU Processor
Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
Sapphire DUAL-X R9 270 2GB OC
THERMALTAKE TT500NL2NL 500W PSU
Samsung SATA Black Internal DVD RW Drive
Audiobox USB Audio Interface (blue)
Audio Technica AT2020 XLR microphone
Sennheiser HD518 headphones.
Windows 10 Pro

Solution
According to one of the download links from your product page, there is s BIOS update with version 2.40. Is your BIOS up to date alongside the necessary drivers? (leave out the app charger and utilities and concentrate on the Realtek Audio+LAN while you download your chipset drivers from AMD's site, here. * You can get your audio driver version R2.79 from Realtek's download site, here.

There may be a point where the Audio interface may be causing your system to freak out due to a driver conflict. Download and try to install the driver for your Audiobox USB Audio interface software under compatibility mode and see if anything changes for you.

Right click...

Lutfij

Titan
According to one of the download links from your product page, there is s BIOS update with version 2.40. Is your BIOS up to date alongside the necessary drivers? (leave out the app charger and utilities and concentrate on the Realtek Audio+LAN while you download your chipset drivers from AMD's site, here. * You can get your audio driver version R2.79 from Realtek's download site, here.

There may be a point where the Audio interface may be causing your system to freak out due to a driver conflict. Download and try to install the driver for your Audiobox USB Audio interface software under compatibility mode and see if anything changes for you.

Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility Mode>Windows 7/8 [from the drop down menu]

You can also try a system restore if the issue came about after a mandatory Windows Update and likewise you could try a repair install and see if the issue is alleviated.

Lastly, the only way you can rule out the PSU from the issues list is if you had a near similar wattage(doesn't matter if it's higher) unit on hand, say from a friend, with which you can run off while the Litepower 500W unit is out of your system. FYI, that is a very bad unit even for an entry level system you own. Speaking of systems you didn't include your ram(kit) in your systems specs. You can rule out your rams to be functioning properly by running memtest86+ for 10 passes. If any errors show up while reaching 10 passes then your ram is the primary suspect.

Solution