Question Computer is confused on how to configure 5.1 Surround Sound

Nov 30, 2021
Hi there!

I have an incredibly confusing issue that I absolutely cannot figure out and it has something to do with my computer and not the speakers I own. I have verified this by a) buying a whole new set of speakers and b) using the built in testing feature to calibrate all the speakers. The speakers I am using are the Logitech Z906

The issue:
  • I cannot get the 5.1 surround sound to configure properly to have audio coming from each of the speakers independently and coming out of the correct speaker. More specifically, when I switch the Z906 to "no effect" mode, I CAN get sound out of all speakers. However, when I click on the center speaker (in the testing page of audio console) sound comes out of rear left. When I click on the sub, sound comes out of the rear right and vice versa. Surely this seems like the cables are just plugged into the wrong ports, but if i switch them I end up getting no sound -- presumably because they are then in the incorrect ports. Likewise, if the Z906 is set to any of the other effects (i.e. 3D, 3.1 or 2.1) I only get sound out of the front two speakers.
  • I would like to add that in "no effect" mode, the right rear speaker will not play any sound when 5.1 audio is sent throught the speakers.
What I have tried:
  • First and foremost, I have gone into the windows sound control panel and selected the correct speaker system on my computer and configured it to 5.1 surround sound.
  • After hours of personal troubleshooting, I took the computer to the GeekSquad at Bestbuy for a consultation. While there, we both came to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with the speakers, nor the connection to my computer (AKA yes all of the cables are plugged into the right spot and no the connecting cable isn't broken).
  • I have 5.1 Compatible hardware. Firstly, I tried using my motherboard (see specs below for info on my stuff) and after having no luck I went and spent $150 on a sound blaster dedicated sound card. Same issue.
  • I have read that changing the quality type to 24bit/96000hz changes things, but nope.
  • I have tried the speakers on two separate computers and get the same issue.
  • Again, after realtek drivers failed me I resorted to other software to see if it would fix the issue. And yes, my drivers are all up to date.
  • With the realtek drivers I read that you would need to manually tell windows which port you plugged in, but that didn't fix anything either.
Under the Sound blaster sound card a different issue has arisen.
- Relatively similar, when I select the rear right speaker, it comes out of the sub (same as before). But when I select the sub to play sound, it comes out of the sub. Before it was swapped with the rear right.

Final note: At the GeekSquad the techs (there were like 3 different dudes trying to help) were convinced it was an issue with configuration. But unfortunately nothing they tried worked.

If this issue has stumped whoever is reading this, can you at the very least give me an idea of someone I can pay to just figure it out? Like a tech support for audio?

Thanks for reading this. Hope I was clear enough in my explanations.

System specs:

Aorus x570 elite
Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus
AMD ryzen 7 5800x
AMD RX 6700xt
32 gb ram

EDIT:

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!! I had bought two separate Z906s to test everything to see if there was an faulty parts. Turns out... the analogue cable was bad in BOTH OF THE SYSTEMS!!! I bought my own cable off amazon and now it is working just fine. For those of you out there looking at this, just buy your own cables. Logitech makes a good system but apparently not good cables.

Last edited:

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
I have the same speakers. Same Issue. I think it has to due with the USB Realtek Driver that delivers the sound. The Right Front speaker only works if you play a "Mono" sound. Anything in Stereo, doesn't work. The bass woofer is pointless. Nothing emits from it. I got it to semi work but alas - left it as is. Was going to put my older 2.1 speakers but I can sort of handle almost 5.1 system and Logitech no longer support them. They point you back to your motherboard/sound card manufacturer

Nov 30, 2021
I have the same speakers. Same Issue. I think it has to due with the USB Realtek Driver that delivers the sound. The Right Front speaker only works if you play a "Mono" sound. Anything in Stereo, doesn't work. The bass woofer is pointless. Nothing emits from it. I got it to semi work but alas - left it as is. Was going to put my older 2.1 speakers but I can sort of handle almost 5.1 system and Logitech no longer support them. They point you back to your motherboard/sound card manufacturer
Oh don't say that! I've been trouble shooting for so long its past the return date!

I am wondering if maybe you and I are having an issue that others either have solved or haven't encountered. All of the reviews on amazon seem to point towards us having a unique situation.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Sur...331163&sprefix=logitech+z,aps,208&sr=8-3&th=1

Last edited:

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Mine are the Z506 Speakers. Basically the same as the 906 model without the remote. Looking at the reviews, it doesn't look like the Z906 is much better when hooking to a Computer. They work much better for working with a digital stereo system. According to some sites, the EAX digital sound if the software drivers delivers true digital sound. I never really looked at it much, so I still believe it would have to have realtek provide better software. I am comfortable using the "5.1" sound (basically 4.1).