Computer is dropping frames can't find the reason why.

Matthew_H37

Honorable
Oct 6, 2015
I have had this problem with my computer before so I finally went to go get it checked out. After getting my computer checked out the only problem that made sense was that the graphics card was messed up.

I had a geforce gtx 650 which is pretty old. So I decided to upgrade it and got a gigabyte geforce gtx 1050 with a 2gb memory and I also upgraded my power supply to a 650 psu from corsair. I also have a AMD FX-8320 3.5z. Also I might add that there are no viruses on my computer. My motherboard is a AMD 760G.

So after adding the new parts I assumed my computer might be ready to go and the problems would be fixed, but after a few hours of playing games the frames have started to stagger from 80 fps to 10 fps. I have reconsidered resetting my pc because that helped it last time, but I don't want to have to do that every time my computer starts messing up. Any more information needed I will provide.

Solution
Hardware related wise, your motherboard has very poor vrm to support a 125 watt tdp processor. It does natively support it but your issue is a match with vrm throttle, if not cpu throttle. Problem is, it can be confusing to measure accurate reading on this platform. If you have any overclock on the cpu, remove it and drop the vcrore voltage, otherwise try a slight underclock just to check if your actual problem is vrm throttling

Matthew_H37

Honorable
Oct 6, 2015

Well I was just checking and the temp was around 45 Celsius and that isnt supposed to be that bad I believe.

Is this while idle or under constant load?

Matthew_H37

Honorable
Oct 6, 2015

It was during a constant load. I was playing a game and now it went up to 50 Celsius

You were playing a game and you checked temps after quiting? That's not what we want. If it was truly 50 C under full load it looks like a false reading. Use CoreTemp, HWInfo or AMD Overdrive to check your temps DURING gameplay. What is your cpu cooler and motherboard? Another issue triggering fps drops could be vrm/mosfet overheating in your motherboard. First make sure you are getting real time accurate cpu temps

Matthew_H37

Honorable
Oct 6, 2015

I was checking temps during my game and I was using a software called Open Hardware Monitor that was giving me a
40-50 Celsius range. I also installed the AMD Overdrive you recommended and I got a 25-35 Celsius range. The fan I have for my cpu is the standard factory fan that comes with the cpu and the motherboard is a MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) (MS-7641) (CPU1). Thats at least what it says when I use Speccy. Also wanted to add that I put on new thermal paste on my cpu.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the mobo is most likely throttling the cpu due to vrm overheating

you can check this by opening the case and putting a fan bowing onto the mobo

if you no longer get fps drops then you have found the problem

Matthew_H37

Honorable
Oct 6, 2015

I did what you said and opened the case and put a fan facing the mobo, but the frames are still dropping.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

ok, then next step is to make sure your cpu is keeping its speed

use msi afterburner or amd overdrive to monitor the cpu's speed while you play

does it go down to 1500 mhz, or stay at max turbo while gaming?

msi afterburner can also let you know how much cpu and gpu usages are at, are either topping 100%?

Hardware related wise, your motherboard has very poor vrm to support a 125 watt tdp processor. It does natively support it but your issue is a match with vrm throttle, if not cpu throttle. Problem is, it can be confusing to measure accurate reading on this platform. If you have any overclock on the cpu, remove it and drop the vcrore voltage, otherwise try a slight underclock just to check if your actual problem is vrm throttling

Solution

Matthew_H37

Honorable
Oct 6, 2015

Yeah I believe its just my motherboard. What I did in my games was lower the resolution so my parts aren't working as hard and this seems to be a easy fix for right now. I am going to have to get a new motherboard because even after I updated bios the cpu is still overclocking a little. Thanks for your help if you can recommend me any motherboards that might work with my system I would greatly appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS