Question Computer is loud now

Feb 21, 2019
So I thought it was time to ask this question as I've been anxious about this for a while. About 3 months ago I noticed that my PC was louder than usual. Not SUPER loud, but louder. There's also sometimes a crackling noise here and there... a slight buzz. The buzz sort of comes and goes, but the loudness remains. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the power supply.

I took it apart and cleaned it and it actually stopped for about 10 minutes and then came back. My dad told me that I shouldn't worry about it and it's totally fine, but I'm concerned about it that's why I'm here asking people with more knowledge on this stuff. Also sometimes this buzzing noise stops if I turn the computer on it's side, then when I put it back vertically upright the buzz will come back, but usually this buzz comes and goes. The loudness is always there now.

Another big thing i've noticed is everytime I start my computer I get a message before it loads. The message is something along the lines of. "This product is severed by one or more of the following paitents: US5, 307, 459, US5, 434, 572
Realtek PCis GDE Family Controller Series."

I should also add I sometimes get blue screens. Maybe one every 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Remeca

Reputable
I would run the pc with the side off, and when you can hear the noise, gently tap the center of each reachable fan (GPU, CPU, case, etc) and listen to see if the sound changes. If the affected fan is touched, it should be quite obvious. If you touch all the fans and nothing changes, PSU fan is a likely culprit.

Reactions: helper800
I was thinking loose screw/holder on a hard drive. Could also be fan bearing, but those usually start when the fan starts, and then dissipate or stay, not come out of nowhere. Also, most people consider fan bearing noise a bit on the loud side. Either way, nothing critical here, just annoying.

To nail down what it is, take the side off the case. When the noise starts, hold the hard drive, then stop the fans with a pencil (or something similar) one by one until the sound stops.

I was thinking loose screw/holder on a hard drive. Could also be fan bearing, but those usually start when the fan starts, and then dissipate or stay, not come out of nowhere. Also, most people consider fan bearing noise a bit on the loud side. Either way, nothing critical here, just annoying.

To nail down what it is, take the side off the case. When the noise starts, hold the hard drive, then stop the fans with a pencil (or something similar) one by one until the sound stops.
Do not stop any fans in the case with a pen or pencil as this guy suggested, you can end up destroying those fans, instead do what Remeca said and tap the fans. Tapping will cause the culprit fan to momentarily slow or stop the buzz making it obvious. As for the BSODs you are experiencing, what operating system are you using?

Reactions: Remeca
Feb 21, 2019
Do not stop any fans in the case with a pen or pencil as this guy suggested, you can end up destroying those fans, instead do what Remeca said and tap the fans. Tapping will cause the culprit fan to momentarily slow or stop the buzz making it obvious. As for the BSODs you are experiencing, what operating system are you using?
Windows 10

You might hurt the pencil, lol, but the fan will be fine :) Plus that trick won't work on a power supply - can't reach those fans, and unless we can actually hear the sound he it talking about, we can't say 100% that it's a fan.
If he taps every fan beside the PSU it is almost guaranteed to be the PSU fan that is the problem. Process of elimination.

To eliminate some easy to fix things that could be causing your BSODs in windows 10 I would recommend following this guide for the /sfc scannow and /dism commands in command prompt. Check back once those have run and if they found and fixed any errors.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Feb 21, 2019
So I found out what the little buzzing noise was. It's the graphics card, when I hold it the buzzing will stop. ( the buzzing is not always happening though ) But yeah my PC in general is still louder than normal and I'm getting that message on startup.