Question Computer is no longer starting

guywhoneedshelp22

Reputable
May 18, 2019
Hello everyone! I’ve recently experienced a thunder storm in my area and I’ve never really had a problem with electronics dying or anything from thunderstorm but, today was a first and it’s honestly terrible. I’ve had my build for about 3 years and have had little to no problems with it but on with what happened.

We had this thunder storm pass by and it knocked our power out for a day but I went out today and our power came back but, I turned my power supply on and then it made a really loud popping sound and then the whole system shut down and began to smell like smoke, I tried to start the system up after that but it didn’t start up but the PSU powered the case on but didn’t start the computer, everytime I plug it in, that’s when it starts to smell like smoke and it’s made me scared to even bother trying to mess with it, what could’ve possibly happened? My surge protector has never really failed me before and I’m really worried because I think it could’ve fried the PSU or the Motherboard or even worse, the whole system, can somebody please help me?

TL;DR thunderstorm knocked out power and computer went out and psu made pop sound and started smoking

Hello everyone! I’ve recently experienced a thunder storm in my area and I’ve never really had a problem with electronics dying or anything from thunderstorm but, today was a first and it’s honestly terrible. I’ve had my build for about 3 years and have had little to no problems with it but on with what happened.

We had this thunder storm pass by and it knocked our power out for a day but I went out today and our power came back but, I turned my power supply on and then it made a really loud popping sound and then the whole system shut down and began to smell like smoke, I tried to start the system up after that but it didn’t start up but the PSU powered the case on but didn’t start the computer, everytime I plug it in, that’s when it starts to smell like smoke and it’s made me scared to even bother trying to mess with it, what could’ve possibly happened? My surge protector has never really failed me before and I’m really worried because I think it could’ve fried the PSU or the Motherboard or even worse, the whole system, can somebody please help me?

TL;DR thunderstorm knocked out power and computer went out and psu made pop sound and started smoking
Take the machine to a service counter and get an estimate on repair cost.

Once you get a number you can make a choice on what you want to do.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Well, the first step would be replacing the PSU.

What's the full list of specs?