Question Computer is not shutting down properly anymore

Sep 2, 2019
Hello!

I've got a problem with a PC that is not shutting down properly anymore, meaning when one presses the powerbutton or chooses to shut it down, it appears to do so, while the fans of the case, the CPU and the video card remain running, so one has to turn off the PSU.
When turning the PSU on again, the PC immediately comes into a mode, where the LEDs of the case turn on and the fans run very loudly until I press the power button, which leads the PC to boot usually again.
The System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit (should be an OEM version)
Intel Core I7 870 (with 2,93 GHz showing in the system panel)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
6 GB RAM
According to CPU-Z I found the following about the Mainboard:
Manufacturer: Packard Bell
Model ipower G5800
and BIOS:
Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: P01-A3
Date:05/17/2010

As I also had resp. have problems with the video card, so I updated its drivers. Furthermore I reset the BIOS via the jumper and tried different settings within the power management of the BIOS, which didn't lead to anything.
Also I've searched for an BIOS update on the manfacturer's website but only found outdated or not supported files.

I hope one of you may have an idea what could fix that and I thank you in advance!

Ps. As I'm new here I hope I didn't make any mistakes in creating this thread. If so, don't fear to point it out.

Ralston18

Titan
What happens if you just leave the power button alone and let the PC sit?

Are you certain that the PC is not finishing off or otherwise installing updates when you shutdown?

Sometimes you need to and should just let Windows run in order to finish updates, etc...

And, no criticism intended, why not update to Windows 10?

Another question: make and model PSU, wattage, age, condition?

Wondering if the PSU is no longer up to the task of supporting the hardware.

Sep 2, 2019
What happens if you just leave the power button alone and let the PC sit?

Are you certain that the PC is not finishing off or otherwise installing updates when you shutdown?

Sometimes you need to and should just let Windows run in order to finish updates, etc...

And, no criticism intended, why not update to Windows 10?

Another question: make and model PSU, wattage, age, condition?

Wondering if the PSU is no longer up to the task of supporting the hardware.
I tried to leave it for more thana whole hour and it didn't went off itself.
I also could notice that the screen turns off after the "shutting down" screen, so windows does not seem to install any updates.

Actually it's not my own computer but the PC of a friend of mine, who does not like Windows 10... Personally I use Linux Manjaro...

The PSU is a FSP Group Inc,
Model: FSP750-80AGP
Input:100-240V~ 10-5A,50-60Hz
Output 750w (+3.3v & +5v=170w max)(+12v1&+12v2&+12v3+12v4=648w max)
+3.3v --- 30.0a(org), +5v ---30.0a(red), +12v1 --- 18.0a(yel), +12v2 --- 18.0a(yel/blk), +12v3 ---18.0a(yel/blue), +12v4 --- 18.0a (yel/white)
+5vsb --- 3.5a(purp), -12v --- 0.5a(blue)
P.G Signal(gray), Ground(black)

The PSU should be as old as the PC itself, so I assume it's about 9 years old now.
In addition it may could be useful to provide information about the problems with the video card I've mentioned above, so I'll do it here:
When just running the computer, surfing online or watching videos, it seems to run stable but as soon as I start to play something the fans get noisy again and the pc turns off soon (takes about three to five minutes).
I'm not sure wheather that reinforces the assumption about the PSU or not though.

Ralston18

Titan
Has the computer been cleaned to remove internal dust, debris, hair, dead bugs, etc.?

All cables, card seatings, RAM, jumpers checked to ensure they are fully and firmly in place?

Has the thermal paste ever been re-applied?

However, I am still thinking that the PSU is the likely problem. Especially with the PSU being 9 years old....

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or have a family member or friend who could help?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

The test is limited because it only tests the voltages and not what is (or is not) happening under load conditions.

Swapping in a known working PSU would be, in my mind, the next step to take.

Sep 3, 2019
Hi,

I have the exact same problem. It started 2 days ago, coincidentally the same day I installed the Win10 1903 upgrade. My system is only a year old. Since the update I've noticed a couple of issues which may or may not be related:

1) System now won't power down. It appears to shut down, but then a second or so later, later all the fans start spinning at high speeds and the CD drive can still be ejected. No video output though and front power lights on case are off. If I power off at the wall and then back on again, fans start spinning immediately, but no boot until I press the power on button.

2) If I power off at the wall and then back on again, the BIOS resets. Battery seems fine and system time is preserved, just the settings are lost/reset to defaults. This may have been going on a while, but I haven't noticed anything so I assume it started the same time as issue (1), i.e. after Window updated.

Surely Windows updates can't have broken the BIOS, but the timing is too coincidental to ignore. I've tried disabling all the power settings in Windows (hibernate, fast startup, e.t.c.) and have updated all drivers I can find, but no difference. A search suggest that the main BIOS may be corrupt and the lost settings are due to the backup kicking in? The settings are preserved as long as I don't cut power at the wall.

Any ideas?

B360-HD3
i5 8400
GeForce GTX 1060
Win10

Cheers.

Sep 2, 2019
Has the computer been cleaned to remove internal dust, debris, hair, dead bugs, etc.?

All cables, card seatings, RAM, jumpers checked to ensure they are fully and firmly in place?

Has the thermal paste ever been re-applied?

However, I am still thinking that the PSU is the likely problem. Especially with the PSU being 9 years old....

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or have a family member or friend who could help?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

The test is limited because it only tests the voltages and not what is (or is not) happening under load conditions.

Swapping in a known working PSU would be, in my mind, the next step to take.
As the computer didn't boot at all, when given to me, the first thing I did was cleaning it from dust, etc. It seemed to me like it was the first time in those nine years though...
Also I've found the thermal paste dried all up and almost completely gone, so it has been re-applied by me some days ago, too.

Sadly I don't own a multi-meter myself and don't know anyone who could, yet I should be able to replace the computer's PSU with a known working PSU and test it.
I'll report the outcome as soon as I've finished the tests.
Thanks for the advice!

Sep 2, 2019
On the advice of Ralston18, I replaced the PSU with a known working one and the problems of not shutting down proprly anymore vanished. So thanks to him!

But as I had problems with the GPU before, I used furmark to test it with the properly working PSU and sadly, after about five minutes, it went down. Hence I could see the problem being caused by overheating and not the PSU.
I already reapplied the thermal paste on it and cleaned the video card. Any last advice on that?
Thanks in advance!