Computer is randomly shutting down

bryjoered

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Hello,

So, I installed a new graphics card and it seemed to work without a hitch. The performance is fine and the temperatures of all my components are stable even at load.

I recently started having a problem with my computer shutting down, a couple of times it has been in the middle of a game. I immediately thought it was the PSU, so I did a Heaven benchmark and let it run in a loop for like an hour: no problems, stable temps and performance.

Over the past week, I have left my computer on and came home from work to find it off. I booted it to see the error message that it had shut down unsuccessfully, this is with absolutely nothing going on and just the desktop running.

Is this a PSU problem? I'm going to go out tonight and buy a new one, but I thought I'd ask here just to see if you guys had some input.

Thanks

bryjoered

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Yeah, apparently we lost power today, but I've witnessed the issue myself at least 4 times, all while playing a game, weirdly enough the shut down didn't occur while I was playing, but after I went idle in the pause menu and then unpaused.

Today's power outage might just be a coincidence, because there has been two other times when I came home from work and my computer was off. So, 6 times shut down without warning and with no error message in the last week or so.