Computer is randomly turning off. Having to clear CMOS everytime.

IronicTrout

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017
Hi guys I'm having a weird issue with my new-ish PC (about 4-5 months old). Last night I was using it and it randomly turned off and then it tried to turn itself back on but all the happened were the fans spinning and the lights coming on and then it immediately turned back off. When I went to push the power button nothing happened so I flipped the switch on the power supply and pressed the power button, flipped it back and it turned back on. It stayed on for ~45 mins and then the same thing happened. I followed the same steps and it only stayed on for ~30 seconds. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it?

Specs:
Asus Prime z370A mobo
corsair ax1200i
32gbs (4x8) corsair vengeance ddr4 3200
Intel i7 8700k
nvidia 1070 founders

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution

Your issue is normally points to a bad PSU, having to flip the switch is a definite sign.

IronicTrout

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017
just ran speccy with the computer under load cpu got up to 40c and the gpu got up to 70 while everything else seemed to be hovering in the mid 20s all the way until it turned off. The temps look fine as far as I can tell.

Bobives

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015

IronicTrout

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017

Yeah hearing that from a few different places. I ordered another PSU because I don't have one to test with. Hopefully that solves the problem Fingers crossed!

Let us know.