Question Computer is restarting under load

Jun 23, 2019
Hi there,
I bought a used pc from a friend a year ago, since then my GPU broke 2 times and always got replaced.
The first one was probably, because of overheating (it was summer and my flat is in the 5th floor). But the second one just began rebooting under load and then finally after just 2 weeks broke.
They all got replaced and my new one is running since 3-4 months without any problems, until yesterday when it just rebooted while gaming.
I already upgraded the drivers and windows, but still rebooting if I load up some heavy games.
Because that‘s the second time something like this happend to me I really want to know why this keeps happen. Maybe because of my temps, because I have a small micro-ITX case.
The temps of the GPU:
Idle: 52 degrees
Under load: 72 degrees
Former idle( I had my gpu always running with 10% fan speed at 40-45 degrees)

Specs:
i7-4790k
EVGA Z97 stinger
16gb ddr 4
Corsair AX860
GTX 980ti Evga SC
Corsair H100i
120hz 1080p monitor
Window 10 home x64

I don‘t think it‘s a PSU problem, mabye an GPU problem.

Thanks for helping,
Singo

those temps are pretty high. mITX is not meant for performance systems or heavy gaming. if size is really a factor for you for some reason, find a nice mATX that has reasonable cooling/airflow.
~75°C should not kill the card(s) but it can significantly lower it's and other internal components life expectancy.

what are your CPU temps when idle and when under load?
are you running stock speeds(CPU, RAM, GPU) or OC'ing?
and how are you running DDR4 on a Z97 DDR3 board?

Jun 23, 2019
those temps are pretty high. mITX is not meant for performance systems or heavy gaming. if size is really a factor for you for some reason, find a nice mATX that has reasonable cooling/airflow.
~75°C should not kill the card(s) but it can significantly lower it's and other internal components life expectancy.

what are your CPU temps when idle and when under load?
are you running stock speeds(CPU, RAM, GPU) or OC'ing?
and how are you running DDR4 on a Z97 DDR3 board?
I bought this pc and it was pretty cheap for it‘s Performance, I also would have chosen a bigger case, next bulid is going to be atx.
My cpu is idling at 35 degrees and under full load at 61 degrees.
And sorry it‘s ddr 3 not 4 my bad.
There‘s nothing overclocked, exept the graphicscard, which has a slight factory OC.
I also tested cpu stress test to find out if the pc crashes because of the Vrms or the capacitors, it didn‘t crash.
I already took the sidepanelof a while ago, which decrased the temps around 3-4 degrees and I made a custom fan courve, which kept the temps under 70 degrees.
If the gpu is broken again they are not going to replace it, then I‘m going to build a new pc.
Thanks

check what the temperature limits are stated by the manufacturer of the GPU. it will just shut down if surpassing those a lot of the time. maybe getting a good temperature range in effect could stop the crashes.

besides the GPU, things seem to be performing fine it sounds. hard to diagnose without extra hardware to test with; friend to borrow from, etc. not too many people running Z97 chipsets anymore though.

if money is a big factor, I would start with a different Z97 motherboard and see if things go alright.
if you can afford it, just drop the outdated chipset and upgrade to something more recent and powerful overall.

Jun 23, 2019
check what the temperature limits are stated by the manufacturer of the GPU. it will just shut down if surpassing those a lot of the time. maybe getting a good temperature range in effect could stop the crashes.

besides the GPU, things seem to be performing fine it sounds. hard to diagnose without extra hardware to test with; friend to borrow from, etc. not too many people running Z97 chipsets anymore though.

if money is a big factor, I would start with a different Z97 motherboard and see if things go alright.
if you can afford it, just drop the outdated chipset and upgrade to something more recent and powerful overall.
It‘s 83 degrees so there‘s a lot of head room. My gpu just died and my pc isn‘t starting at all. Tomorrow I’m going to run of the integrated graphics and later I‘m going to build a new system, but thanks for helping

the fact that this thing has killed 3 GPUs is unsettling. being that's a very efficient rated PSU would lead me to believe it has been the motherboard causing this. i would definitely NOT plug any new cards into the old Z97 board again.

as much as it sucks having components die, i'm always a little glad when it has given me an excuse to upgrade to a new generation of hardware.
, good luck on the next build

Jun 23, 2019
the fact that this thing has killed 3 GPUs is unsettling. being that's a very efficient rated PSU would lead me to believe it has been the motherboard causing this. i would definitely NOT plug any new cards into the old Z97 board again.

as much as it sucks having components die, i'm always a little glad when it has given me an excuse to upgrade to a new generation of hardware.
, good luck on the next build
Thanks mate, i don‘t really think it‘s the board but i won’t use it again

Thanks mate, i don‘t really think it‘s the board but i won’t use it again
the only things that would be effecting the GPU is the temperature, the motherboard PCIe port(s), or the PSU.

unless you have found many others complaining that these specific EVGA series 980 ti were failing often, it's got to be one of them.
you're not hitting deadly temps that you've noticed. it is a high rated(platinum) PSU that i've never seen complaints about. that only leaves the motherboard.

if it(motherboard) still functions through the onboard graphics; i would use it to put together a quick web browser or media center PC and sell it for cash towards a new system or just use it in some non-gaming scenario.

Reactions: MrSingo
Jun 23, 2019
the only things that would be effecting the GPU is the temperature, the motherboard PCIe port(s), or the PSU.

unless you have found many others complaining that these specific EVGA series 980 ti were failing often, it's got to be one of them.
you're not hitting deadly temps that you've noticed. it is a high rated(platinum) PSU that i've never seen complaints about. that only leaves the motherboard.

if it(motherboard) still functions through the onboard graphics; i would use it to put together a quick web browser or media center PC and sell it for cash towards a new system or just use it in some non-gaming scenario.
Actually there were many temperatures complains about this series of graphics cards, my friend once ran his RX 590 on my pc with under 65 degrees on OC.
I going to sell it independently, because the cpu is still worth over 200€.
Never going to buy evga stuff again ;)