Computer is shutting off randomly - having different situations almost every day

jarkey11

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
So, let me start off by saying that I took an old computer apart, salvaged its motherboard and CPU (don't know mobo model, and i think I'm using an i7 3770k), along with its RAM and disk drive. I've since put those parts in a new case with a new GPU (gtx 970) and a new PSU (750 watts).

My computer has been running fine for the past three years since I've remodeled it, until a few weeks ago, when the problems started occurring.

It started off as occasional monitor blanks, where my monitor would display a "DVI no signal" error. This was fixed by moving the DVI adapter around, or so I thought.

Fast forward a few days, and my computer starts randomly giving me grey screens without warning, followed by a freezing computer. I could only fix this with a "power button" reboot. At this point, I start messing around with MSi Afterburner to lower my GPU's clock speed, as I thought that maybe I was devoting too many resources to my GPU, in order to stop my monitor from blanking out on me.

Now, my computer is shutting off completely. With no warning. When I try to start it up again, the computer either boots normally, or doesn't boot completely, if you will.

When my computer doesn't boot completely, it turns on, (I can see the power button light up, and the fans go off), but the monitor doesn't turn on, my keyboard, which is back-lit, does not turn on, and neither does my mouse (my mouse is also back-lit).

I'm thinking that this is a power-related issue, or at least a hardware issue, but I can't be sure. Sometimes my computer will shut off after only a few minutes, and sometimes it would go for hours before shutting down. I opened my case to look for any blown parts, but nothing seems to have melted, burned, caught fire, or show any indication of damage (other than a *modest* layer of dust).

I have never dealt with an issue quite of this magnitude, and I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!
jarkey11

What is your exact power supply model number and about how old would you guess that it is? I'd definitely check the inside of your power supply, using a flashlight to look inside, and check the heatsink on the CPU cooler, to see if they are packed with dust. Make sure the PSU and CPU fans are both spinning normally and it would be a good idea to download HWinfo, install it and run "sensors only" to check the thermal sensor readings and determine if there are any questionable thermal conditions.

jarkey11

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

It's a thermaltake smart m750w. I've had it for around 2 and a half years.

Thermaltake Smart and TR2 series units are not great quality. They generally don't have long lifespans when used in gaming machines. Often, they don't meet their rated specifications and don't have long lifespans even in non-gaming machines.

That being said, it certainly doesn't mean that the PSU IS to blame, but I'd look at that first. Download HWinfo, install it, run "sensors only" and take screenshots of the sensor values. Usually 3 screenshots is required to capture all the sensors. Post the shots here using an image hosting service like Tinypic or Imgur.

jarkey11

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Will do once graduation is over

jarkey11

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Alright, so I can't exactly do that anymore because my computer is refusing to run now. I've since bought a new PSU hoping you were right about the power. I plugged it all in, and now it can start up, but the disk drive is no longer able to be detected, which essentially renders my computer useless.

jarkey11

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
How could I check for bad capacitors? The most I've had to deal with was a burnt capacitor. I've heard of ways like checking its size but I'm not so sure about that. Also, my computer cannot boot windows; I think my hard drive is dead. I've ruled out a bad connection with the SATA cables by testing my brother's cables.

Basically, I don't know how to check for bad capacitors, my hard drive may be dead, and so therefore don't know how to monitor GPU/CPU temperatures...

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Forget about the capacitors for now. Does the system POST? Can you get into the bios and is there a display showing on the screen? If so, there are no failed caps, or at least, there shouldn't be.

Try the drive in your brother's, or another machine. See if the drive can be seen in a different system than yours.

It may be that the PSU was faulty and took the drive out, or something happened with the drive that damaged the PSU. Or there COULD be an issue with the motherboard, and the storage controller has failed. Might also try connecting the drive to a DIFFERENT SATA header on the motherboard. Also, if you've been swapping cables out you might check that there are no bent pins on the back of the drive.

CPU and GPU temps have nothing at all to do with the drive not being recognized, just ignore all that.

jarkey11

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

So, I tested my hard drive in my friend's machine, and by frying two of his 80 GB HDDs after confirming that mine was dead we figured that either the PSU shorted them out, or that there was a motherboard issue causing thedrives to fail. did dd this all with the new PSU.

As far as I know, there isn't a POST, (not exactly sure how to tell, other than a beep coming shortly after startup), just that error describing how a boot disk was not found or is dead.

How did you manage to fry two 80GB hard drives in a totally different machine, or did you try two of his hard drives in YOUR machine, and they fried?

Sounds like something isn't correctly connected or the motherboard is shot. Not sure how you could even manage to get an error message on the screen though if the motherboard was that far gone.

Since the system does power up with a new PSU, I'd have to agree that most probable culprit is the motherboard.

What is the model number and brand of the "new" PSU you got?

jarkey11

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Whoops, I made a new thread because I didn't notice that you replied to this one!

Silly me lol. Anyways, I got a Corsair RM750i PSU.