Question Computer is stuck in an unsafe overclock, how do I fix it ?

Midawnity

Honorable
Apr 30, 2019
Hi so I did something stupid. So I tried Ryzen Master's auto overclock on my 3700X.
I thought it was fine but I looked into it more and the clock speed and voltages are complete unsafe, it's probably a miracle this thing is still working at all.

It's stuck in a max clock speed of 4.4ghz every time I boot up my computer. I've already gone into the bios settings and put it back to default but it still keeps boosting to 4.4ghz on all cores and the voltages were as high 1.488v.

I'm currently in the position of having to open up Ryzen Master and going to manual overclock in basic mode and change it to 3600mhz and 1.3v every time i turn on my computer. I've also tried hitting the default settings on Ryzen Master and that just puts it back to the 4.4ghz clock and that voltage. Am i missing something?

Midawnity

Honorable
Apr 30, 2019
even in the bios i can see a Core voltage of 1.49V and i tried reverting to default and it says there are no changes to be made

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Uninstall Ryzen Master, completely.

Reboot.

Check BIOS. If voltages/frequency is still high, shut down PC and clear CMOS again. E.g remove CMOS battery, wait 5 mins, but the battery back.

Power back up and check BIOS again. It should revert back to factory default, with no OC on CPU.

Midawnity

Honorable
Apr 30, 2019
Uninstall Ryzen Master, completely.

Reboot.

Check BIOS. If voltages/frequency is still high, shut down PC and clear CMOS again. E.g remove CMOS battery, wait 5 mins, but the battery back.

Power back up and check BIOS again. It should revert back to factory default, with no OC on CPU.
Yes that what I did after TerryLaze had said to remove it. I first removed Ryzen master and the SDK Ryzen master in the add and remove programs. i then turned it off un-pugged everything cycled the power supply when it was off to make sure there was no power stored took out the little watch battery on the motherboard waited about 5 mins put it back in Re-plugged everything in looked in the bios saw it was still the same and when i got on my computer looked at Task manager and HW monitor and saw it was still doing this i have since for the sake of trying to preserve the chip and mother board put Ryzen master back so i can manual turn the CPU Voltage and MHZ to the base clock so it doesn't damage it anymore then it already may have.

Midawnity

Honorable
Apr 30, 2019
Its like the Bios has been convinced this is factory or something? If i reinstall the latest version of the bios again would it maybe fix it?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If i reinstall the latest version of the bios again would it maybe fix it?
It should.

However, do note that when BIOS update should be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), MoBo will be bricked since MoBo can't work with corrupted BIOS.

Some high-end MoBos have dual-BIOS, that you can switch to, when 1st one becomes corrupted. And some MoBos even have BIOS rollback feature, in case of BIOS corruption. But most MoBos have single BIOS without saving grace. It is something to keep in mind.

Midawnity

Honorable
Apr 30, 2019
So after some intimidating bios setting in the overclocking section i was able to manual set the mhz and CPU Voltage i did end up having to undervolting it to about 1.25v its still pulling about 102w to the cpu at max load on a stress test but its stable so far max temps are about 70-80c still sadly. this is with a 240mm Coolermaster aio waterblock idk if there anything else i could do as it seem very persistent. maybe it running hot too bc it may have been damaged DUE to the extereme voltages and wattage previous?
I think when i wake up tm im gonna try to re install the bios and see if that fixes it as i know how to get it to where its at currently now.

Last edited:

Midawnity

Honorable
Apr 30, 2019
Are you sure it wasn't like that before and you just found out now because you looked into it?!
From what i've looked around online 4.4ghz is like crazy high for this cpu there apparently pretty much at max out the box. and max default is like 1.3v 1.4 and 1.5 is the super dangerous zone anything above 1.5v would kill the cpu from what i gathered online internally on the bios page it should have been no more then 3.6ghz pushing if it did boost it shouldn't have been 4.4ghz on all cores.

Mod edit:

I've had the pc for about 4-5 years and at one point used the 4.2 game boost in the bios so the most i've ever seen it is 4.2ghz and that still a pretty decent jump from 3.6ghz even if its not all the time
biggest saving grace with even that is my gpu is my bottleneck as its a evga 1080 sc so i hardly ever max out my cpu with gaming or other tasks bc apparently even the game boost on the bios is fairly risky using it

Ralston18

Titan
And I will ask about the make and model motherboard?

Refer to the manufacturer's motherboard documentation (User Guide/Manual) with respect to clearing CMOS.

Likely via a jumper. Follow the full procedure.

Midawnity

Honorable
Apr 30, 2019
And I will ask about the make and model motherboard?

Refer to the manufacturer's motherboard documentation (User Guide/Manual) with respect to clearing CMOS.

Likely via a jumper. Follow the full procedure.
The motherboard is a MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS (MS-7C37) bios version is E7C37AMS. If there's a recommend way to share screenshots I would happily share them if it would help as well with finding the solution as well

Midawnity

Honorable
Apr 30, 2019
So I cleared the cmos the way it says in the manual for this board i don't have a cmos cap so I bridged with a screw drive, it told me cmos was cleared however after getting on my computer and loading up Hwmonitor its just back to where it was prior to my last nights fix which was to manual undervolting and setting the mhz to 3600 in the overclocking settings in my bios.