[SOLVED] Computer is turning on, but no display on the monitor.

tinoxt

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
My computer is turning on but my monitor is displaying no signal. Before lockdown (3 weeks ago), I was using my computer at university and everything wass normal, then when the lockdown started i left my pc at uni. I only went and got it yestaday, then when i set it up at home and turned everything on my monitor has been displaying no signal but my keyboard, mouse, and graphics card all light up when booted.

I have checked my HDMI cable which is fine, checked the monitor and its fine. I also tried taking out the MoBo battery for an hour and putting it back in, removing my graphics card and putting it back in and removing my RAM and putting it back in. I tried all of that and nothing seems to be working.

Would appreciate any help :)
Thank you.

i3 530 2.93GHz
GTX 950 MSI
DDR3 4GB
ASrock H55M-LE
460w psu

Solution
Yeps it could be that your GPU is faulty then :disrelieved:...Maybe take that GPU and place it into another computer and see if the problem remains.If not your motherboard doesn't support that graphics or the PCI slot is damaged or it reached its time.
ITS WORKING NOW!!!
After trying the motherboard thorugh the vga connection without the gpu plugged in, and that showed the display. Then I went to my bios settings and changed the chipset settings from PCI to PCI Express slot. Then plugged my gpu back in and it worked!

Bassplate

Reputable
My computer is turning on but my monitor is displaying no signal. Before lockdown (3 weeks ago), I was using my computer at university and everything wass normal, then when the lockdown started i left my pc at uni. I only went and got it yestaday, then when i set it up at home and turned everything on my monitor has been displaying no signal but my keyboard, mouse, and graphics card all light up when booted.

I have checked my HDMI cable which is fine, checked the monitor and its fine. I also tried taking out the MoBo battery for an hour and putting it back in, removing my graphics card and putting it back in and removing my RAM and putting it back in. I tried all of that and nothing seems to be working.

Would appreciate any help :)
Thank you.

i3 530 2.93GHz
GTX 950 MSI
DDR3 4GB
ASrock H55M-LE
460w psu
Hi There :benetton:
Have you tried removing your GPU and then connecting your screen to the Mobo itself?
OR maybe use another screen?

IF you did removed your GPU and you tried to use your On-board graphics...I would say to reset bios(with the jumper method)again without your Graphics card connected(And screen connected to the motherboard).Also try to boot up only using one RAM stick per time and Per slot....
If still nothing works i would suggest to listen for an BUZZ BEEP...Take out all your RAM sticks and boot up your computer and try to listen if there are any BEEPING noises coming out of your computer...If there are no beeping noise it might have a faulty motherboard or a faulty component that's causing your computer to boot up.
This is a step you can follow to see if your Motherboard itself isn't damaged...
So try to connect onboard with your screen and try to reset bios with the Jumper method and if still nothing works try to listen for that buzz beeping noise to indicate where the situation might lead...
NOTE=
IF you tried to take out all your RAM and THERE ARE AN BEEPING NOISE....it means your motherboard are still okay and functional....
Maybe replace the CMOS battery as well
Hope something helps:benetton:

tinoxt

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
Hi There :benetton:
Have you tried removing your GPU and then connecting your screen to the Mobo itself?
OR maybe use another screen?

IF you did removed your GPU and you tried to use your On-board graphics...I would say to reset bios(with the jumper method)again without your Graphics card connected(And screen connected to the motherboard).Also try to boot up only using one RAM stick per time and Per slot....
If still nothing works i would suggest to listen for an BUZZ BEEP...Take out all your RAM sticks and boot up your computer and try to listen if there are any BEEPING noises coming out of your computer...If there are no beeping noise it might have a faulty motherboard or a faulty component that's causing your computer to boot up.
This is a step you can follow to see if your Motherboard itself isn't damaged...
So try to connect onboard with your screen and try to reset bios with the Jumper method and if still nothing works try to listen for that buzz beeping noise to indicate where the situation might lead...
NOTE=
IF you tried to take out all your RAM and THERE ARE AN BEEPING NOISE....it means your motherboard are still okay and functional....
Maybe replace the CMOS battery as well
Hope something helps:benetton:
I couldn't connect my it to the motherboard because it requires a VGA cable and I only have a HDMI which works for my GPU. However... I tried booting using one RAM stick at a time and nothing changed, then I took all the RAM out and tried to listen for a beep when booting, but there was no beeps at all :c

Does this mean my motherboard is faulty..?

Bassplate

Reputable
I couldn't connect my it to the motherboard because it requires a VGA cable and I only have a HDMI which works for my GPU. However... I tried booting using one RAM stick at a time and nothing changed, then I took all the RAM out and tried to listen for a beep when booting, but there was no beeps at all :c

Does this mean my motherboard is faulty..?
Well then it could mean that your motherboard is faulty...OR maybe it could be that your CPU is faulty as well...CPU's can also prevent a computer from starting up and could be the reason for your bios not to load.
I would also suggest that you carefully RESEAT your CPU again or maybe just use another CPU(If you have one)Just to test if your system boots up.
But i RECOMMEND to rather get an VGA cable and to test your motherboard from there...I think your MOBO should be fine because it can be the graphics card itself and NOT your other Components:benetton:
To skip all this testing just get an vga cable and connect it to your mobo and screen and see whether it would boot up or not...IF still nothing happens i would then get an other CPU and try again.

tinoxt

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
Well then it could mean that your motherboard is faulty...OR maybe it could be that your CPU is faulty as well...CPU's can also prevent a computer from starting up and could be the reason for your bios not to load.
I would also suggest that you carefully RESEAT your CPU again or maybe just use another CPU(If you have one)Just to test if your system boots up.
But i RECOMMEND to rather get an VGA cable and to test your motherboard from there...I think your MOBO should be fine because it can be the graphics card itself and NOT your other Components:benetton:
To skip all this testing just get an vga cable and connect it to your mobo and screen and see whether it would boot up or not...IF still nothing happens i would then get an other CPU and try again.
Okay, I went and bought a VGA cable and tested it. It worked and showed signal on my monitor. Does that mean my GPU is faulty then?

Bassplate

Reputable
Okay, I went and bought a VGA cable and tested it. It worked and showed signal on my monitor. Does that mean my GPU is faulty then?
Yeps it could be that your GPU is faulty then :disrelieved:...Maybe take that GPU and place it into another computer and see if the problem remains.If not your motherboard doesn't support that graphics or the PCI slot is damaged or it reached its time.

tinoxt

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
ITS WORKING NOW!!!
After trying the motherboard thorugh the vga connection without the gpu plugged in, and that showed the display. Then I went to my bios settings and changed the chipset settings from PCI to PCI Express slot. Then plugged my gpu back in and it worked!

Reactions: Bassplate
Solution