Question Computer Issues (Freezing)

andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
Reposted from old post with updated information.
Need PC Expert's help:

Build list:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
storage: Seagate - FireCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
Case: Thermaltake - VO545A1N2U ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 650W Bq 80+ Bronze Semi Modular
Windows 10
Windows and GPU are updated

This is my buddies computer (that I did not build). He has had this rig for about a year and has hardly touched it, due to the fact that it crashes constantly. By crashing I mean, whatever it is you are doing the screen freezes right where its at and you must turn off the PC and turn it back on. It does not go to a blue screen or any crash menu. It simply freezes right where it is. The PC is still running when it freezes (fans, lights etc).

It only has one stick of ram so we were unable to unplug one stick to see if it was bad.
Doing a Power Supply calculator i figured about ~444W under 100% load and it is a 450W power supply. It originally had a 450W power supply. It has now been upgraded to 650W.
Prime 95 was ran for ~2-3hours for memory and CPU stress testing.
FurTest was ran multiple times (for up to an hour and a half on some test) with no issues.

The SECOND I stop FurTest after a long testing period It will freeze within 10 seconds. If you try and play a game it may work for a while but then it WILL freeze at some point (it can be an hour into gaming or a few hours into gaming). Even browsing the internet or simply going through the computer messing around with files it will freeze.

I've swapped out multiple GPU's and power supplies and still had the same Issue. So it's either the CPU the motherboard or the RAM. This setup is DDR4 Ram which none of my buddies have so I cant test another stick without buying it. Its a AMD board with an AMD chip and all my buddies have Intel so we can't try that either. I was gonna possibly try and swap my Hard drive into his computer to see if the hard drive was corrupting and locking up ( if thats even a thing?), but I'm not sure if you can just throw in someone elses hard drive with their own motherboard/CPU setup, etc. and have it boot onto it with no issues.
If you have any other questions or information you would like to know about please let me know and I'll let you know. We think it has to be a hardware issues as the computer has never worked from the get go.
Figured I would ask you guys before we go ahead and start buying a new stick of ram and a new cpu/motherboard.

Thank you.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Being as you have replaced PSU and GPU, freezing like this can quite easily be RAM, it can also be the storage drives.
Can you confirm if the issue still occurs in safe mode?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Run memtest on about 4 passes and see if any errors are given.
Is there any overclock being run anywhere? If so, reset BIOS back to defaults and see if the issue persists.

You can't necessarily throw in someone elses hard driveand boot from the OS, but you can either try booting into a bootable OS, or simply grab a spare drive and install an unactivated OS on it to see if the issue persists.

andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
Attempted Safe Mode. Apparently safe mode turns off the ability to use the GPU? Therefore, I was unable to run my GPU bench test to see if it would freeze after. I checked the BIOS settings, OC settings were all set to Default. It had never been messed with before, as far as I know of. I did turn off Multithreading in the BIOS to see if that would do anything. Did a FurMark test, still froze after I closed out of the program (about 15 seconds later). I checked the Event Viewer and Reliability History. Event Viewer was throwing a critical error code (Event 41 Kernel Power). I believe that is just windows saying 'hey this thing did not shut down properly' from it freezing. Reliability History was saying something very similar about how windows has not been shutting down correctly.

I guess I'll go and test the RAM some more using windows built in ram tester? Also I might have a spare SSD laying around to install windows on to try that.

Other than that, I don't know. Thanks for the responses and any further help.