[SOLVED] Computer Issues - SATA - DVD - Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

john10001

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Hello guys. Hope someone can help advise me.

I got a new hard disk for my computer because I ran low on storage with only around 4GB left on my main drive.

The new disk was installed successfully and everything. I had three hard drives all showing up in my computer the other day. However, my DVD drive stopped showing up.

Yesterday before I went to bed I set my computer to copy all my photos overnight from the C drive to the new disk on the E drive. I had already successfully copied all my music files.

Unfortunately, something went wrong in the middle of the night and my computer went down.

I thought that it may have been an issue with the SATA cable or controllers on the Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 board I have so I started troubleshooting and seeing if it worked on different cables or sockets. I eventually got it to boot again through trial and error and trying different SATA ports. It has shown error A32 in the bios previously and kept getting stuck on the bios screen. I believe that error code relates to the SATA controllers or connectors?

This led me to believe it could be either the cable or the SATA port. However, why was it working fine yesterday?

I went into Control Panel, System, Admin Tools, Event Viewer, Windows Logs, System and have looked at all the error codes.

One of the issues I have noted is that my ASUS DVD-RW is suddenly not working and I see error messages related to its driver among many other things. I have copied some of the error messages at the end of this post. Apologies if there are any duplicates. I have just gone back on the red ones until early hours today after I went to bed and the last time the system was running well without issues.

Also, note the error messages related to RAID controller. I don't have anything setup with RAID even though the board has that capability it is not used so this may just mean and relate to the SATA controllers that the hard drives are on?

I've thought to myself why would a driver for an ASUS DVD-RW suddenly no longer work when it has been okay for the last nine years? I have then checked into Windows Update and it looks like two updates downloaded and installed themselves after I had gone to bed at something like 3 am in the morning! I had Windows Update switched off so I don't know how it has done that.

The Updates were:

1) Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB4481252)

2) Security and Quality Rollup for NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.8 for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4535102)

I now believe that it could very well be these updates that caused the problems.

Unfortunately, I do not have a System Restore point to go back to. I don't know why there isn't one. Maybe it is due to space issues.

There is no option to uninstall or roll back those updates within Windows Update and no uninstall button present.

I have gone into Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a Program, and have managed to get Silverlight uninstalled in there.

However, there is no option to uninstall the Security/Quality NET Framework update.

Question: Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get that second update removed? I believe that may solve my problems and allow me to connect my other hard drives again and also have the DVD-RW working and showing up?

I have been storing all my photos on iCloud since early 2020. I also have a camera full of them as well to download which is why I needed to get a new hard drive. I also formatted the hard drive as exfat because I am planning on switching to Mac for the first time ever within the next 10 months. The new hard drive is 3TB internal SATA drive which I will eventually get a caddy for and make into an external one I can access from my new computer.

I've got cloud backup for my pc as well but I don't know how feasible it would be to use that to get my computer back to the way it was before the updates were installed early hours this morning at 3AM? I am guessing it would be difficult and problematic to do and may cause more issues. I think the cloud backup is really only for stuff like photos, documents etc that you don't want to lose and I'm not sure this one backs up everything. I believe it only does certain folders. I currently have Backblaze and I am sure it only does certain folders. My previous backup was with Crashplan Home from Code42 which backed up everything on the disk but they ceased doing that service so I had to switch to BB.

If you can offer any advice especially for the main question I have highlighted above in bold then I'd appreciate it. And if you know anything about the other error messages I received below it would be interesting to know what they mean though I am suspecting that they could all be related to the updates that have made my computer go funny.

Thanks,
John

_ _ _ _

Error Messages from Event Viewer

The driver \Driver\ULCDRHlp failed to load for the device SCSI\CdRom&Ven_ASUS&Prod_DRW-24B3ST\5&17e287e6&0&000000.

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\USIUDF.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\ULCDRHlp.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

The description for Event ID 19 from source Sentinel64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
USIUDF

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The AXIS Camera Station service failed to start due to the following error:
The pipe has been ended.

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\USIUDF.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\ULCDRHlp.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

The driver \Driver\ULCDRHlp failed to load for the device SCSI\CdRom&Ven_ASUS&Prod_DRW-24B3ST\5&17e287e6&0&000000.

An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.The Registry could not flush hive (file): ''.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
USIUDF

The Windows Update service hung on starting.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.

The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

Solution
It sounds like you have that drive for awhile now and not all dvd/blu-ray drives will last forever.
My first suggestion is that you go ahead and retire that dvd-rw to a recycling bin.
I recommend you get this personally as it is much faster and more reliable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VPGL5U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for cloud storage I usually go for this and let it back up over wireless.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/onedrive/online-cloud-storage
There is a free version but I recommend you go for the 4.95 route.
Event manager keeps pointing back at your old dvd-rw drive as the main issue.

If you think the sata cable is the problem, go by a local computer repair shop...
It sounds like you have that drive for awhile now and not all dvd/blu-ray drives will last forever.
My first suggestion is that you go ahead and retire that dvd-rw to a recycling bin.
I recommend you get this personally as it is much faster and more reliable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VPGL5U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for cloud storage I usually go for this and let it back up over wireless.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/onedrive/online-cloud-storage
There is a free version but I recommend you go for the 4.95 route.
Event manager keeps pointing back at your old dvd-rw drive as the main issue.

If you think the sata cable is the problem, go by a local computer repair shop or best buy.
Explain what is going on and ask them for a new pair of sata cables.
If the error is still happening with the drive "which I think is the culprit" go ahead and get rid of it,

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts