Computer issues

jdelp

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I have had my homebuilt computer for a few years now, and other than a PSU that went out early on havent really had any issues from it. However a few days ago, I went to wake my computer up from the screen saver and it just froze on the screen saver. At first I thought my mouse was dead, then I noticed the screen saver had locked up. I waited a few moments and no response so I reset the computer. It booted up to the MOBO splash screen..where you can hit F8 for bios or wait for the computer to load. It then stopped on that screen. I tried hitting F8 and no response either. I then powered the computer completely off and unplugged the PSU for a few moments and double checked all wire connections inside. plugged it back in and turnedi t on...same response. I could see the light on the front was flickering and I could hit a few of the fans running plus the dvd drives would start up at first. I tried to restart it a couple more times and nothing. I powered it off and left it alone for a few hrs. I came back home and tried to power it on again..fans, dvd roms, etc start up but not even the MOBO splash screen now.

Is there a way to test what could be the problem without having any spare parts to plug in? ITs a 939 AMD socket mobo, two 1gb sticks of ram, 3800x2 processor. Any suggestions please let me know. I prefer to not go buy parts for it just to see what is the problem, if at all possible.

I am not sure if this is the right sub forum to post in, but I thought this was closest applicable out of them. Thanks in advance for any help.

This oriented towards troubleshooting a new build but:
Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating missing memory. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to successfully POST (generally a single short beep).

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a
time.