Computer just started randomly shutting down when running a game (Not overheating)

f4xxf4xx

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Hi, as the title says, my computer just started randomly shutting down when running a video game (the last Hitman) I normally had no trouble running (shuts down after around 10 min gametime). It also instantly restarts as soon as it shuts down, but no info is given.

I tested reading the GPU and CPU temperatures before it closes, and the CPU is at 40 degree celcius. I also stress tested my GPU with Furmark and the GPU never went above 80 degree celcius.

I also tested my memory with memtest and I had the "Pass complete, no errors" message.

I read a lot of solutions online suggesting updating my BIOS but I want to be sure if there are no possible reasons before that. I was thinking about updating every drivers I have, maybe that is going to help.

My specs:
-CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
-Graphic card: GeForce GTX660 Ti 2Gb
-Motherboard: ASUSTek P8Z77-V PRO
-Memory : 2x4Gb DDR3
-2 SSDs and 2 HD
-Power supply: I can't find the exact info of my power supply but it's at 750W
-Windows 10 Pro 64 bits

If you need additionnal info I will find it.
Thank you very much

Solution
What you have is a Corsair TX750 V3 PSU, made by Chicony Power Technology/HiPro back in 2012.

Since Corsair didn't send out any review samples, there are no reviews of this specific PSU. And at current date, TX750 V3 is also discontinued PSU. Though, at it's release, it came with 5 years of warranty, so we can assume that there's at least some decent build quality in it.

While it has enough wattage for your system, my guess is that due to it's age, the voltage regulation has sifted outside of the ATX PSU standard specs of 5% on all rails (10% on -12V and -5V rails) and your PSU can't sustain stable enough voltage for your 150W GPU to run under higher load. That's why your PC shuts down once you start gaming.

Only fix is to buy a new...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Shutdowns during gaming are mostly caused by 2 issues:
1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.

Since your temps are within reason, open up your PC and take a pic of PSU label to post here or write the contents of label here. What i'm mostly interested is the make and model (or part number) of your PSU.

f4xxf4xx

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017

Hi Aecus,
this is a picture of my PSU (Corsair Model 75-001309):
http://imgur.com/nyKlWZb

Thank you

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What you have is a Corsair TX750 V3 PSU, made by Chicony Power Technology/HiPro back in 2012.

Since Corsair didn't send out any review samples, there are no reviews of this specific PSU. And at current date, TX750 V3 is also discontinued PSU. Though, at it's release, it came with 5 years of warranty, so we can assume that there's at least some decent build quality in it.

While it has enough wattage for your system, my guess is that due to it's age, the voltage regulation has sifted outside of the ATX PSU standard specs of 5% on all rails (10% on -12V and -5V rails) and your PSU can't sustain stable enough voltage for your 150W GPU to run under higher load. That's why your PC shuts down once you start gaming.

Only fix is to buy a new, up to the date PSU. For new PSU, i suggest getting any Seasonic unit, in 500W range.
Why 500W and not 750W? Because your GPU is 150W and if you add the rest of the system at about 200W (usually less) to it, total would be 350W. 500W range PSU would be more than enough for your PC, even if you OC your CPU and/or GPU.

That being said, i suggest getting: S12II-520, M12II-520 EVO, G-550 or Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/bkp323,TgW9TW,fZyFf7,DPCwrH/

Focus+ is the newest PSU line from Seasonic and it comes with 10 years of OEM warranty. Other listed Seasonic PSUs come with 5 years of OEM warranty.

All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Solution