Question Computer just turns off when gaming

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
This problem just started happening 2 days ago. I'm running the following on Windows 10 Pro 64;

1. Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
  2. Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  3. Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
  4. Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3466 CL16 Memory
  5. ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  6. 4 x Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drives
  7. Western Digital My Book 4 TB External Hard Drive
  8. MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card
  9. Corsair AXi 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  10. be quiet! Pure Wings 2 94.2 CFM 140 mm Fan
  11. Enlabs INU29P1X4 USB 2.0 1 to 4 Extension Hub
  12. be quiet! Silent Base 801 ATX Mid Tower Case
  13. CyberPower PR1500LCD UPS

The system runs fine all day and night while idling and surfing the web. I also work from home on it all day with no issues over a citrix desktop. I've run numerous stress tests on the CPU, GPU and RAM with CPU-Z and OCCT and have Reinstalled the graphics drivers using DDU. The GPU is not overclocked and running at default. I also ran dism and sfc and they both came back fine. Nothing has changed on the system other that the most recent Windows updates KB4601319 and KB4601050.

The problem starts when I go to game. I play COD Black Ops Cold War and will usually get in a match or 2 so about 10-20 minutes and then the computer just turns off, not shut down or BSOD, just seems to lose power. Nothing is overheating when this happens. All cores are in normal ranges and the GPU is cool as a cucumber.

Once this happens the motherboards RGB lights will stay on and the LCD on the motherboard will keep doing it's little animations saying formula but the PC will not turn back on. If I turn off the switch on the back of the PSU for about 5-10 minutes the computer turns right back on like nothing ever happened.

I'm lost as to what is happening and I don't have a clue how to make heads or tails of the Windows logs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have done all the tests that users on here would suggest , from what you have said i would the power supply is on its way out , i would get a new one because if it suddenly starts giving out the wrong supply to your components you could fry everything.

Look in reliability monitor and google any errors listed , also look in device manager to see if their are any yellow triangles next to anything.

Reactions: HnyBear

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
You have done all the tests that users on here would suggest , from what you have said i would the power supply is on its way out , i would get a new one because if it suddenly starts giving out the wrong supply to your components you could fry everything.

Look in reliability monitor and google any errors listed , also look in device manager to see if their are any yellow triangles next to anything.

Reliability manager only says (The previous system shutdown at 3:17:05 AM on ‎2/‎11/‎2021 was unexpected.) Nothing in yellow or red in device manager and the PSU is only about 4 months old.

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Had some more time to test things out the last several days as I can't work with the PC shutting down. I got the PC stable enough to game for almost an hour without it shutting down once.

I've turned all overclocking off on the CPU and am only running XMP on my ram. The system appears stable but the temps on the CPU start to climb even under minimal load even with the AIO running in extreme mode. What else could be wrong? It doesn't appear to be the PSU, could the CPU be having some sort of issues, could it be failing? I've thought of reapplying thermal paste AIO is showing 45 degrees after about an hour of playing COD Black Op and the temp on the CPU is fluctuating between 59 and 67 degrees which makes no sense seeing as the game barely even touches the CPU.

TRENDING THREADS