Computer keep randomly freezing

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018
My pc is constantly freezing, when gaming or performing basic tasks, it just hits something and has a HUGE fps drop and then freezes, audio still plays through if that means something (Just say if i have spotify open)

The crash forces me to force restart my pc with the button on the pc, this shit happens at least 5 times a day and is extremely annoying

my specs
Case: NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case with Side Window - White/Black
CPU: Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-4930K (3.4GHz) 12MB Cache
CPU Cooler: NZXT RL-KRX62-01 280 mm Kraken Series All-in-One Liquid Cooler - Black
Motherboard: ASUS® P9X79 LE: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011
RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
HDD: 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive
PSU: CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Sound Card: ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Lighting Controller: NZXT Hue
Lights: 3-LED fans, 4 NZXT LED strips, 2 NZXT LED Cables

Monitor 1: LG 25UM58-P 25-Inch 21:9 UltraWide FHD IPS Monitor - USING HDMI
Monitor 2: Samsung S22F350 22-Inch HDMI LED Monitor - USING DISPLAY PORT TO HDMI
Monitor 3: Some AOC 720p monitor - USING DVI-D TO VGA

According to a PSU calculator your recommended PSU is 500W. Your PSU is 550W, however, when you figure that your PSU is 3 years old with capacitor aging is figured out you are only giving out about 500W and since your PSU is a 80+ Bronze you don't have the efficiency either. Ideally you should look at getting a new PSU, probably in the 650W range and I would look at something that is 80+ Gold rated. Seasonic Focus Gold or Focus+ Gold would be a good place to look. They offer long warranties, high quality, and decent pricing.

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018

Oh okay, thank you for all your help
is there such thing as having a psu which is too high, just say i got a 750? would that have a negative effect?

Technically there isn't a problem going too big, but it won't run as efficiently. You get your highest efficiency at 50% load and you lowest at idle. After about 3 years your PSU capacitors have lost about as much juice as they can. Just remember that unless you are using your computer for only gaming, the odds of running it at full load all the time isn't very high. Therefore a 650 or 750W PSU is recommended.

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018
Right i got the Seasonic Focus Gold or Focus+ Platinum as it does seem pretty nice, and installed it but then, my computer crashes AGAIN, i want death, any other issues which could be causing this?

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018
I've looked through my event manager, i did find a couple of errors
i have a audio booster called boom 3D which was producing errors so i uninstalled it, also
bonjour the apple software, which ive also uninstalled but is still producing errors somehow?

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018
Right so ive let a couple of days pass every crash ive had, ive looked into the event viewer and it just tells me windows was not shutdown properly, which is me force shutting it down as i cant do anything

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018

Ye, i keep them updated quite commonly, the only thing i dont do is update the bios, because i have no idea how to do it xD
it probably is simple but i havent looked into it.

The PC used to black screen, a lot which also caused me to hard restart, but it doesnt do that no more, it just randomly crashes regardless of load.

My Gpu does sag a little bit, i make sure it is secure quite often but i dont know if this causes any sort or problem.

Other than that i could not think of what else could be causing it, other than some sort of software shit, in that case i might just be forced to hard reset

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018
Well i found this
Chrome will also crash sometimes because it's in conflict with your other software. ... If Chrome is making your computer freeze up, black out or otherwise misbehave, forcing you to do forced shutdowns that can damage your PC, you can create a new profile from Chrome's Settings screen

The GPU saging shouldn't be the issue. However, Chrome could be the problem if you are having conflicts with other software. Try removing Chrome and switching to FireFox for your browser and see if that solves the issue. That being said it is also possible that with all the hard resets you have had to do, by now your file system might be corrupt. You can check the file system in 2 different ways.
1. Open "File Explorer" and on the left hand side select "This PC"
b. Right click on your C drive and select properties
c. Select the "Tools" tab and hit the "Check" button under "Error Checking"
2. Use this guide to do it from the command prompt: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

If nothing else works have you tried a full reinstall of Windows?

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018

Hey, sorry for the late response, but i have done all drive error checking and they have all come back saying no problem, HOWEVER in the event manager i have found a critical error - kernel-power Event ID 41. Ive googled it and it says it to do with the PSU but i have just bought a new one? however i dont know if this is me hard resetting the pc after it crashes
http://prntscr.com/lo0l0i

lo0l0i

I also have a lot of services which go on in the background which i have no clue how to get rid of, the software is installed but there auto update etc services remain?

I also found that in my power settings where you choose a plan, i have razer cortex power plan selected if that means anything

That error is from the hard resets. Whenever you don't have a correct shutdown on the computer that log will be created, and since you have a new PSU it won't be that. Background issues dealing with services are a possibility. At this point I don't think it is a hardware issue and is somewhere a software issue. It might be worth while to take a backup of the computer, if you use veeam agent for windows free edition you can create a boot disk and backup everything too, to a removable HDD and wipe the computer and reinstall Windows.

triplestack92

Proper
Mar 15, 2018

I've tried doing multiple memory diagnostics, it seems to always crash or take a ridiculously long time to complete as it sticks at a percentage.

That isn't a good sign. The computer shouldn't crash when it does a memory check nor get stuck. This might be a RAM problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/computer-freezes-during-memory-diagnostic/df847faa-1f3e-4cba-b6ed-8815a0bac010
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/651853/random-crash-restart-windows-memory-diagnostic-report-detected-hardware-err/