Computer keeps crashing after re-inserting ram

mrjamied99

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Recently, my computer has been starting up and sometimes nothing would appear on my monitor. I read up on how to fix this and re-inserting the ram would apparently fix it. I did it and it fixed it and everything was fine, but when the same thing happened today, I re-inserted the ram, started the computer up and it lasted for about 30 seconds before crashing. I turned off the computer, turned it back on and the same thing happened. I did this once more but this time the monitor didn't turn on. Is there a way to fix this without having to buy new components or are some of my components faulty?

Solution
Sounds like a failed RAM chip. If you have 2 modules, one at a time to see if the PC is more stable with only a single module. If it is, you'll need to replace the faulty module with a identical one. Some brands have a lifetime warranty, but if yours doesn't, see this as an opportunity to increase the RAM with a matching pair of modules.

mrjamied99

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

No, the computer managed to get onto the desktop, it started its usual programs (Skype, Steam etc.) and then it just crashed.

Barhumbug

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Sounds like a failed RAM chip. If you have 2 modules, one at a time to see if the PC is more stable with only a single module. If it is, you'll need to replace the faulty module with a identical one. Some brands have a lifetime warranty, but if yours doesn't, see this as an opportunity to increase the RAM with a matching pair of modules.

Solution

mrjamied99

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Thanks, does the ram have to be identical to the ram I had before or can it be a different make?

Barhumbug

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
It can be any make, but it needs to match your motherboard, so I recommend you start by going to the Crucial website and using their configurator to identify your RAM choices (http://www.crucial.com/). I strongly recommend you buy a good make like Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, and although you'll pay a small premium for lifetime guarantee memory, they are pretty quick to honor it.

Post up your make/model of motherboard and we'll try to link to some sites.

mrjamied99

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

I think I have posted my motherboard on here already. I'm going to be upgrading soon so I have two corsair 8gb memory modules. Do you think they will be compatible?

Barhumbug

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Sorry, I don't know the make of your motherboard, and with out also knowing the type of corsair modules, there's no way of knowing if they are compatible. They may fit the board, but they may still not be compatible.

However, you can still go to the Corsair website, run the Memory Advisor for your motherboard, and see if the modules you have are listed. If they are you can celebrate loudly! If they aren't compatible, flog them on ebay and buy modules which are compatible.

mrjamied99

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Unfortunately, I can't. I can't start my computer (I'm currently on my laptop) and I don't know what brand my motherboard is because I bought a custom computer when I knew very little about them. I know that the make of my motherboard is ASRock but that's about it.

Barhumbug

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Then you'll have to open the case and read the maker/model off the motherboard itself (always useful to know anyway). It'll be printed on the motherboard somewhere - usually next to the manufacturers name.

mrjamied99

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll see if they're compatible tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS