[SOLVED] Computer keeps crashing and automatically restarting ?

Oct 16, 2020
I debated about what category to post this under but honestly I'm not entirely sure. I wish I knew if the problem was hardware or software but I haven't been able to figure out as much. I'm not super familiar with computers but familiar enough that I've built my own. My computer has recently encountered this problem where It crashes when I try to load certain games or have been playing other games for a certain undetermined period of time. The crash is abrupt with no error screen, just full power shutdown and then an automatic restart. Not all games cause this. I can play Minecraft and load Heaven Benchmark just fine, while trying to launch Passpartout: the starving artist will always crash after starting up.

Other games like GTA5 will crash when trying to load up online play. I have opened up my pc to try and make sure that all of the parts are securely seated but no real difference. This hasn't started happening until a couple of months ago. I've had this pc for two years now. I checked the windows 10 reliability log and all it said was "Windows was not properly shut down" and then "The previous system shutdown at 2:43:26 PM on ‎10/‎14/‎2020 was unexpected." under technical details. Any help is greatly appreciated and I'll try to offer more info if I can.

Specs:
-Window 10 (64 bit)
-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
-EVGA 750 GQ Power Supply
-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
-WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB
-ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING

Solution
I can't say with certainty that it was the PSU because I also had to replace my HDD, but my issue is solved! :)
Thank you all for your help and kindness. Sorry it took so long but there was a lot of complications including changing my PSU and having my HDD (along with my operating system go up on me and having to get a new one plus attempts to get the old one repaired but we wont get into that lol). Anyways just thanks again. :) :)
Oct 16, 2020
Possibly a PSU issue, just guessing.
An interesting guess but if it was the PSU then I'm not sure why it would shut down at semi-specific times and only certain games with not much rhyme or reason to my knowledge. Maybe I could come up with a list of games that I own that it crashes for and try to find a correlation?

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Power supplies when they get old or going bad get finicky, they will do such things at random times stay on for a while then some other time just completely not want to turn on at all,,, when they are on the verge dying this behavior gets much worse,,,,, and this is when it starts overvolting or sending rippled voltages through the compnents (possibly killing them in the process ) and then it just wont fire up at all, so chances are its the power supply and your confusion abouto nly certain games because certain games use more gpu power possibly than another so the load increases .

With gta 5 go into your graphics settings and turn them down see if it still does the crash ..... less load for the graphics that way this is a sorta test to see if the load on the graphics has anything to do with it .

Oct 16, 2020
Power supplies when they get old or going bad get finicky, they will do such things at random times stay on for a while then some other time just completely not want to turn on at all,,, when they are on the verge dying this behavior gets much worse,,,,, and this is when it starts overvolting or sending rippled voltages through the compnents (possibly killing them in the process ) and then it just wont fire up at all, so chances are its the power supply and your confusion abouto nly certain games because certain games use more gpu power possibly than another so the load increases .

With gta 5 go into your graphics settings and turn them down see if it still does the crash ..... less load for the graphics that way this is a sorta test to see if the load on the graphics has anything to do with it .
I've loaded up gta and reduced the graphics and it hasn't crashed yet. I might give it a bit longer but your case is seeming pretty strong rn. I might need to look into it a bit more but I think I'm going to try getting a new PSU and see and that fixes the issue. Thanks for your input Mike. :)

Oct 16, 2020
I can't say with certainty that it was the PSU because I also had to replace my HDD, but my issue is solved! :)
Thank you all for your help and kindness. Sorry it took so long but there was a lot of complications including changing my PSU and having my HDD (along with my operating system go up on me and having to get a new one plus attempts to get the old one repaired but we wont get into that lol). Anyways just thanks again. :) :)

Solution