Question Computer keeps crashing. At a loss. Need help.

Fox0r

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Hello,

I am running a computer I built in 2014. Specs:

480GB SSD
1 x 1TB internal HD
3 x 2tb external HD

NVIDIA GTX 970 or GTX 1080 (I have swapped both out trying to isolate problem) (Neither overclocked)
i7-4960X @ 360GHz (Not overclocked)
4 sticks of 8x DDR3 1600 ram

1200w Thermal Take PSU

About a month ago, the computer started shutting off randomly during gaming. I believe it has happened once while not gaming. What happens is always the same: Game stutters for half a second or so and either recovers completely or all 3 monitors go black, I can still hear sound for about 2 seconds, then lose sound and computer appears to shut off and is unresponsive.

I have monitored GPU temps. All normal. I have switched out RAM. Removed 2, tried again. Crash after a few hours. Removed other 2, put first two back in. Crash after a few hours.

I have monitored Temp on CPU. All are stable. No issues.

I have run Windows chkdsks on Hard drives with no issues found other than something about Bit wrong or something. One test finds that, when I tell windows to repair, it says no issues found. I installed 3rd party HD programs to check health. All say normal.

I have no idea what is happening, but it's so incredibly frustrating. I've never had problems before this. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Could be a PSU issue, try using a different PSU if possible - you don't need 1200W of power, a good 750W is more than enough, 850W if you want to be absolutely sure that future upgrades are also covered. See if you can lend a PSU from a friend or family. Try reinstalling your graphics drivers - use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the current ones, then install latest ones from Nvidia website. Also try updating the BIOS to latest revision.

Fox0r

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Could be a PSU issue, try using a different PSU if possible - you don't need 1200W of power, a good 750W is more than enough, 850W if you want to be absolutely sure that future upgrades are also covered. See if you can lend a PSU from a friend or family. Try reinstalling your graphics drivers - use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the current ones, then install latest ones from Nvidia website. Also try updating the BIOS to latest revision.

I switched out PSUs. Played for about 3 hours and it just crashed again. Same symptoms. Playing a game, then everything goes black and computer shuts off with no BSOD. Running Windows 10.

I switched out PSUs. Played for about 3 hours and it just crashed again. Same symptoms. Playing a game, then everything goes black and computer shuts off with no BSOD. Running Windows 10.
Try the other things mentioned in my reply. Also, try running memtest86 from a bootable USB to check if the problem may lie in your RAM(install all 4 sticks when running the test).

Fox0r

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Try the other things mentioned in my reply. Also, try running memtest86 from a bootable USB to check if the problem may lie in your RAM(install all 4 sticks when running the test).

I already reinstalled the drivers. It did nothing to fix the problem. I just opened the case and it sounds like there is some kind of weird buzzing noise coming from the CPU area. Sounds almost electrical. Is that normal? It's very faint, but noticeable.

I already reinstalled the drivers. It did nothing to fix the problem. I just opened the case and it sounds like there is some kind of weird buzzing noise coming from the CPU area. Sounds almost electrical. Is that normal? It's very faint, but noticeable.
Could be coming from the CPU cooler, I don't think it could be from the motherboard though. Make sure the cooler isn't touching any wires. Make sure the cooler is installed properly, including the backplate.

Fox0r

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
So, I don't want to jump the gun - but I read something online someone else said about a similar issue and they went into the control panel and system settings in Windows 10 and turned off a feature called "Fast Boot". There was also a PCIe Power Management or something option. I turned them both off. I have not had a single crash today.

TRENDING THREADS