Question Computer keeps crashing due to overheating - how to underclock GPU/CPU

sxk1277

Great
Mar 19, 2020
CPU temp was at 80 last time and as it crashes, it crashes more often maybe coz its still hot but I read you can't damage your parts from crashing as it shuts down before damage, is this true?

Is there a way to play around with thermal throttling so cpu and gpu maintain a temperature at say 75 degree and stop dropping processes instead of increasing temperature from there on? I don't mind my fps suffering a hit in place of computer crashing. Or is there a way to underclock cpu/gpu so they aren't pushed to their max usage?

Recently installed a new power supply - Antec Zen 600W on XPS 8700 and AMD RX 580.

Thanks

DSzymborski

Titan
CPU temp was at 80 last time and as it crashes, it crashes more often maybe coz its still hot but I read you can't damage your parts from crashing as it shuts down before damage, is this true?

Is there a way to play around with thermal throttling so cpu and gpu maintain a temperature at say 75 degree and stop dropping processes instead of increasing temperature from there on? I don't mind my fps suffering a hit in place of computer crashing. Or is there a way to underclock cpu/gpu so they aren't pushed to their max usage?

Recently installed a new power supply - Antec Zen 600W on XPS 8700 and AMD RX 580.

Thanks

You're curing the symptoms instead of curing the problem. The better thing to do is track down why you have a cooling problem.

sxk1277

Great
Mar 19, 2020
I've cleaned out the computer. I've ordered thermal paste but since it crashed last time at 80 temperature...I'm not sure if that would help since 80 isn't hot enough is it? There were 2 fans in it (not including 2 additional GPU fan) but I just installed an additional fan and lets see if it crashes. I've also adjusted the fan speed using MSI afterburner so it cools faster. Lets see if it crashes.