Computer keeps crashing on boot/standby cpu over temperature?

serth

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Hi Guys

I have an issue with my computer - every time it puts its self to sleep (although i disabled sleep mode) my computer refuses to boot. It fails to recognise my boot hdd, untill i take out every other HDD, and then plug them in once its booted. On startup i get an error message 'CPU over temperature. Press f1 to continue...', but this generally does not affect anything. I have literally just reapplied thermal compound to my heatsink and CPU, but still get same error.

When playing power intensive games, the system runs fine.

BSOD error message: driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, researched and found nothing of use, dump file size of 0kb so i can't even debug it.

Ram is being read at 800mhz instead of 1066mhz despite changing latencies to 5-5-5-15 and voltage to 2.2v as suggested by kingston.

I have scanned for viruses using Avira Free AVG.

Specs:

Asus P5q Pro Turbo - ATX - LGA775
4 x 2gb DDR2 Kingston Hyper-x 1066mhz
Gainward GeForce GTS 250 @1024mb
600w PSU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4mhz.

I have tried updating drivers, but they are all up to date.

Any solutions to these problems??

Many thanks in advance

arges86

Distinguished
you can also try repairing the OS.
Boot to the Windows disk and after you select your language click repair. Then you select your OS and let it do its thing. You may have 2 do it more than once, as it only tries one thing @ a time.

serth

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010

hi Das Stig.

I have cheched all of the visible capacitors on the mobo and they all seem correct, standing straight and with no bubbles, or sign of leakage/breakage.
I do not have the correct equipment to check the voltage of the cmos battery, is there *** program that i can use to distinguish whether this battery is not performing to its full potential.
And i don't see any issue that would cause the PSU to die - 600w psu is more than enough to run my pc, and there is no smell of burning electronics, although something i have noticed when i turn the power on is that the pc powers up (sometimes without me having to press the power button), and after 2 seconds, it turns off for 5 seconds, and then turns its self back on and runs setup.

Some times when connecting my other hard drives to the computer, the bios refuses to recognise the boot disk, or it recognises it but wont let me boot from it. I have changed all of the ports and also swapped out cables with new ones, and i have still noticed this problem. It seems to work fine with 2 hard drives, but when i add the 3rd one, it goes haywire again.

I have tried repairing the OS on *** couple of occasions, once it worked, which was earlier, but other times the pc just froze mid-repair. I also tried *** clean install of windows onto another hard drive, left it over night, and the machine had froze mid-install which was not amusing.

Anything else that pops into your mind?! I really need *** stable system so that i can work on it.

I have also just scanned for viruses and there was nothing recognised by Avira and AVG.

Many thanks

Serth

TRENDING THREADS