Question Computer keeps disconnecting from WiFi ?

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hello,

Recently I switched an ISP from ADSL to optical fiber. I have one computer connected with cable, 3 with Wifi, and the problem is one of them is occasionally (can be once in 10-20 minutes) getting disconnected.
It didn't happen before with the previous ISP.
This computers speed test is showing good speed (almost 100 Mb per second), and I switched wireless network adapters - same results.

What can I do to solve this problem?

Thank you

Ralston18

Titan
Any other changes: modem, router, or modem/router if combined?

Make, model, or location (especially for wireless) connectivity. Any changes at all? Especially with the router.....

Noted that you switched wireless network adapters and if the disconnects continued then the location is suspect but there may be more involved.

If you swap the problem wifi computer with one of the other no-wifi problem computers without any other changes does the problem follow the computer or still stay with the location?

And on the problem wireless computer also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either tool or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or informational event just before or at the time of the disconnects.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing.

Event Viewer is more cumbersome and requires more effort to navigate and understand.

FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Reactions: cynicoren

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Thank you, sorry for the late reply.

The modem/router was changed too, to support the fiber connection, to Sagemcom F5670 (replaced a DLINK DSL-6740U)

The distance between the modem and the computer hasn't change, it is about 3 meters, so I guess it's not the location ( the other computers are just a bit more far - 4 meters and another is 3 meters cut inside a room with thick cement walls and they work fine.

I tried Reliability History but didn't something that was network related (as I understood it) - What kind of a report should it be?

In the event viewer, those had most errors (under Warnings):

DNS client Events - 33 events , Event ID 1014(I suspect this is the one)
Wlan Autoconfig Event ID 4003 6 times,

You made a massive change to the wifi by upgrading the router. The old router was extremely old. It was so old it did not even fully support 802.11n...they now call this wifi4. So it might have been connecting using older protocols.

Your new router is at least 802.11ac (wifi5) with some support for wifi6 that I am unsure of. It is not so much that the router supports the newer encoding protocols but it also can run on the 5g radio band. You might be using 5g radio when before you were using 2.4 because that is all your router supported.

The 5g radio band even though it is faster tends to have the signal absorbed more by walls than the 2.4g. I would see if you can force the device that is having trouble to use the 2.4g radio. Other wise it can also be as simple as you are using channels are getting more interference than the ones you used before.
Since I suspect you do not know what channels you where using all you can do is blindly try to change them. You can also try to change the channel width to 20mhz but it will likely reduce your speed but it might be more stable. It will cut the speed for all devices so it is a trade off.