[SOLVED] Computer keeps freezing shortly after sign in

Aug 17, 2019
So this problem started occurring about an month ago, but I have been in the process of moving so I haven't had the time to try and fix it until now. My PC was running fine, I was playing Terraria and then I went to go do something and ended up leaving my computer for a few hours, when I came back to my PC it was frozen. This would occasionally happen, not under these circumstances, but I wasn't too concerned so I just restarted it and went to get some food. When I come back, it was frozen on the sign in screen, so I restarted again, signed in, and then before I could load any programs it froze again.
So now I'm concerned, I tried to do a system restore to a backup but that failed, and then system restores no longer worked, I opened it in safe mode and it loaded fine and didn't freeze, I tried to do a factory reset but then that failed and any future attempts wouldn't work.
Because I was going to be in between houses for a while and then moving I decided to just leave it and then I moved into my new place last week, and my house mate suggested that it could be that windows was corrupted, so I bought a new ssd, installed windows 10 on it from my housemates build and then put it in my machine. It loaded but then shortly after it froze again, so at this point I know it's not a software issue, but unfortunately I have no idea what hardware issue it could be that is causing the freezes. We assume probably the motherboard or the cpu, but I can't afford to replace both and I can't risk buying one if I don't know which one I need to replace.

Sorry for rambling quite a bit.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated, thank you very much.

Here are my current pc specs,
Motherboard: MSI x370 gaming plus
CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380
PSU: Corsair VS 650
8GB DDR4 Ram
1TB HDD
500GB SSD

Solution
so I bought a new ssd, installed windows 10 on it from my housemates build and then put it in my machine.
One thing I just noticed trying to go back over everything.
It would be worth trying to clean install whilst the drive is in your machine, otherwise it can cause conflicts, you also want to make sure you also remove all other drives during the install:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...nstall-of-windows-10-after-upgrading.2418875/

if this then fails, it's definitely hardware, there is no guaranteed way of testing either way without swapping the component for a known working one. Also I would still recommend memtest instead, as this also does some basic CPU cache testing, leave it for 4 passes...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

So you reinstalled windows but the issue persists?
Does the issue still go away in safe mode?

If it is hardware, from my experience, this is most commonly caused by faulty RAM. You may want to run memtest for at least 4 passes and verifying the integrity of your RAM modules. It can be other things, but we can work up to those. After that it can be a variety of hardware.

Have you also updated your BIOS to latest version?
Have you been running any overclock or XMP at all?

Aug 17, 2019
So my house mate lent me his stick of RAM and we put that in my machine to see if that would make a difference, and now I have an entirely different problem on top of the original.
When I turned on the machine with the other RAM module installed, the PC wouldn't boot up, so after waiting a while I decided to turn the PC off, I held down the power button, but it wouldn't turn off, so I turned it off at the switch on the PSU. Then when I turned the switch back on the whole PC turned on before I pressed the power button, holding down the power button seems to turn on and off certain components, like my cooling system, but the motherboard is always on. I turned the machine off and swapped out the RAM modules back to mine, then when I turned the machine on at the switch, it all turned on like before, eventually after holding the power button down a few times it booted up, I loaded into safe mode and then after waiting for a while and seeing that safe mode doesn't freeze, I tried to turn it off by clicking power off, it turned off the cooling system, but again parts of the motherboard were still on.
I assume my motherboard, is busted at this point, but I don't want to have to spend money and wait for a new motherboard to arrive, if there is a way to fix this, I also still don't know if it was the RAM that was causing the freezing.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well the Corsair VS series are a poor quality PSU in reality. And I've seen all to often them cause problems (especially if it's more than a couple years old). So this could also be the culprit.

If you are having hardware problems, and you're not an electronics expert anyway, you won't repair them, often the damage is not easily fixable, especially on motherboards as without rather length labour, it's difficult to even find where the problem is coming from.

Ultimately the best way to tell is to swap each component with a known working one and retesting.
You don't necessarily need to swap out the RAM, you can try memtest as stated before, which isn't a guaranteed, but if it is indeed the RAM, it will more than likely find it. And it doesn't need windows to start, just need the PC to power up and POST.

Aug 17, 2019
So I tried my old power supply and the weird power problems stopped. And I have tried a different RAM module as well as ran a Memory diagnostic check, which came back with no problems.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So I tried my old power supply and the weird power problems stopped. And I have tried a different RAM module as well as ran a Memory diagnostic check, which came back with no problems.
Could well be another cross the VS series box. Myself and many others have encountered various problems with the VS series, and ultimately, they're not really made for heavier load rigs.

What is your other PSU?

Aug 17, 2019
My other PSU is a EVGA supernova NEX650G, I replaced it because my computer would randomly shutdown and it was becoming more frequent.

But now that the PSU is working properly and my pc is booting normally, and I have tested the RAM and that doesn't appear to be the problem, I assume it must be either the CPU or the motherboard that is causing the freezing, is there any way for me to work out what's broken without having to replace them and see.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
My other PSU is a EVGA supernova NEX650G, I replaced it because my computer would randomly shutdown and it was becoming more frequent.

But now that the PSU is working properly and my pc is booting normally, and I have tested the RAM and that doesn't appear to be the problem, I assume it must be either the CPU or the motherboard that is causing the freezing, is there any way for me to work out what's broken without having to replace them and see.
Wait, you said the problem went away with the other PSU right?
If so, then the PSU is probably the problem, like my previous post stated:

Well the Corsair VS series are a poor quality PSU in reality. And I've seen all to often them cause problems (especially if it's more than a couple years old). So this could also be the culprit.

Aug 17, 2019
The problem of my motherboard turning on as soon as I turned the switch on without pressing the power button, got sorted by swapping out the PSU, but the problem of my PC freezing a short time after boot up is still happening

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
so I bought a new ssd, installed windows 10 on it from my housemates build and then put it in my machine.
One thing I just noticed trying to go back over everything.
It would be worth trying to clean install whilst the drive is in your machine, otherwise it can cause conflicts, you also want to make sure you also remove all other drives during the install:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...nstall-of-windows-10-after-upgrading.2418875/

if this then fails, it's definitely hardware, there is no guaranteed way of testing either way without swapping the component for a known working one. Also I would still recommend memtest instead, as this also does some basic CPU cache testing, leave it for 4 passes and should give you a better answer. Having said that, I would expect windows to find any obvious issue.

Solution