[SOLVED] Computer keeps on shutting off after cleaning inside with compressed gas and cloth

Apr 1, 2020
For a few days, my PC was having a slight burning smell and at least one of three fans was louder. It was overdue for cleaning, so I took it on the back porch to clean it out. I use compressed air and q tips to clean the fans and compressed air and a cloth to clean surfaces inside. I've clean my PC before about a year ago, except; I didn't do the discharge electricity before cleaning it technique, used a cloth and compressed gas on surfaces and I might have used more compressed gas and might have not q tipped the fan blades as well this time as it was about 60 degrees outside.
It never randomly (at least not for months beforehand) shut off until I set it back up. It cut off after some time, cut on after I turned it back on then I had mixed success getting it back on. I used two different power strips so it's not those.
I left it off from afternoon yesterday to noon today. I was on it for about two hours then it shut right off. It would not turn back on after at least one try so I just unplugged it. I was playing some music and had at least two tabs opened so that might have overwhelmed it.

Solution
Fans don't usually make a lot of smells when they die. They just stop working or make a lot more noise and then stop. They rarely burn up.

It sounds like your PSU might be failing. That's much more likely to make a smell. If the burning smell came after I'd be inclined to say that the dust you kicked up or a bit of cotton from your qtip was burning. But since it came before you cleaned it, the PSU is more likely the cause.

When you used compressed gas on the fans, did you hold them still? Spinning the fans with CG can be very damaging to fans. It causes them to spin much faster than normal which can causing the bearings to wear very fast. It can also generate a charge in the coils of the motor which could cause some damage to the...
Apr 1, 2020
Yes, I used a can of compressed air.
Also, there's a good chance my room has been hotter than it's ever been this year thus far
  • FX-4000 Series FX-4300 (3.80 GHz)
  • 4 GB DDR3
  • 1 TB HDD
  • Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2 GB

Apr 1, 2020
I do not know how to identify my power supply/PSU. This is my first desktop. Had it for 3 1/2 years.
But I used my computer for a few hours today after leaving it off for most of the day and just turned it off because of the burning rubber smell. The back fan was making funny noises like it was having trouble spinning.

The easiest way to identify what PSU you have, if you don't know it already - is to remove the side panel of the case, and look at the sticker on the side of the PSU, the manufacturer and model should be printed on the label.

If you are still not sure, you can take a photo of the PSU and upload it to something like imgur, and post a link here in your thread

Also, it sounds like you should try to avoid using the PC for now. If it is the PSU which is failing, there is a very great risk that your other components in the PC are at risk for permanent damage if or when the PSU fails.

Be careful, especially until the PSU is ruled out as the cause of the problem

Last edited:
Reactions: AlamChip
Fans don't usually make a lot of smells when they die. They just stop working or make a lot more noise and then stop. They rarely burn up.

It sounds like your PSU might be failing. That's much more likely to make a smell. If the burning smell came after I'd be inclined to say that the dust you kicked up or a bit of cotton from your qtip was burning. But since it came before you cleaned it, the PSU is more likely the cause.

When you used compressed gas on the fans, did you hold them still? Spinning the fans with CG can be very damaging to fans. It causes them to spin much faster than normal which can causing the bearings to wear very fast. It can also generate a charge in the coils of the motor which could cause some damage to the coils or where ever the fan is plugged in, if there isn't protection circuitry. I usually use a quick blast of air for the fans, while using a thumb to keep the blades still, to get rid of the loose stuff and then use a qtip or cloth to remove any extra dust stuck to the blades.

Reactions: AlamChip
Solution
Apr 1, 2020
Thank you. I have the worst memory but I believe I mostly held a q tip in between each gap without too much spinning by hand (well q tip) or canned compressed gas. Hmm, I did spray down the inside in general more.

Beyond that, yeah, I think it is the PSU. Are they easy to replace? General prices?