Computer keeps randomly shutting down

HotCPUGuy

Commendable
May 14, 2016
So I've put together a new computer, and even though it has generally run fine, even for intense gaming, it will just shut off every once in awhile. Originally I assumed it was the power source since one game in particular shut it down when starting it up every time.

So I went and replaced my old PSU with a 850 watt (Going from a 600) -http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1238_443&item_id=073397

It doesn't shut off when I start games up now, it just seems to be doing it randomly, one second I'm watching a YouTube video and off it goes, another time I'm playing a game I've played for 3 hours straight and off it goes. The Computer completely shuts off and won't turn on again until I turn off the power source, wait for everything to lose power, then flip it back on.

I've been watching my heats, my CPU idles in the low 20C's, have seen it get up to 40C, my video card is slightly hotter, but nothing crazy. I figured I might have plugged something in loosely so I've re-plugged the power cords going into my Motherboard, but it has turned off once since then.

I've also just tried CC Cleaner, I do have a clone of an old OS running on a secondary drive and it got rid of some stuff, though I'm far from confident that has solved the issue.

What other problems could be causing such an issue?

My System:
Motherboard: ASUS 970 Pro GAMING/AURA ATX AM3+ (Haven't flashed the BIOS)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 Core 4.0/4.2 GHz Processor AM3+ 16MB Cache 125W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770

If you need any other information just ask,

thanks a ton for any help you can offer.

Solution
haha...as long as its fixed, u shd be glad abt that...
srry for the late reply...
as i had mentioned in the first response...must be some kind of loose connection...
allright then...cheers mate...
Hi,
Make sure that you have activated so the memory dump file will be saved:
1. Open the computer's System Properties dialog (Start > Run > Type: sysdm.cpl > Press return).
2. Select the 'Advanced' tab.
3. Under the section 'Startup and Recovery' select the 'Settings...' button.
4. Under the section 'System failure' > 'Write debugging information' from the drop down menu select 'Complete memory dump
5. Click 'OK' to confirm the change.
6. You must restart the computer for the change to take effect.
The computer will now write the entire contents of the computer's RAM to a dump file if a system crash occurs.

Then download and install free BlueScreenView http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
run the s/w to see if there are any memory dump file with errors, that suggest a Windows system crash.
If not, then its unlikely a Windows system problem.

Best regards from Sweden

HotCPUGuy

Commendable
May 14, 2016
'4. Under the section 'System failure' > 'Write debugging information' from the drop down menu select 'Complete memory dump'

On Windows 7 the only options I have are (none), Small memory Dump and kernel Memory Dump. Kernel Memory Dump is the one selected, I assume this is the one that is wanted?

Sorry I haven't used this program before, but what is the s/w and how do I run it?

It first reports a Critical Error and says 'The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.'

Followed a few seconds later by an error reporting 'The previous system shutdown at 7:46:10 PM on ‎6/‎18/‎2016 was unexpected.'

I've already tried unplugging and re-plugging in the power cords for the system, both when I installed my new power source and then again after it turned off for the first time.

HotCPUGuy

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Actually I can see the motherboard lights easily enough from outside the computer, they remain on even while the computer has shut itself off and the power button won't turn it back on!

HotCPUGuy

Commendable
May 14, 2016
My brand new power supply died this morning, after constantly shutting the computer off all day yesterday. I must have re-plugged everything in a dozen times between the two PSU's, I then plugged my old one in to be able to do basic activities - and it hasn't had a single issue since, hasn't turned off once.

There MUST have been a connection somewhere doing something that it wasn't supposed to be doing, though I would've thought one of the many other reconfigurations would have caught the issue, here I am, with a perfectly working computer and no clear idea why. -_-