Computer keeps restarting and won't load windows.

DaveByers

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I woke up this morning to find my computer had tried to restart itself, but it needs me to hit F1 to proceed. On doing so it started to load windows and then reset. After numerous attempts I got it through windows only for it to restart again minutes later. Now regardless of how many attempts it won't start windows. I am running XP on a pent 4 and am at a loss. Help please.

covertxt5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
have you added or updated any hardware? if so go into safe mode (f8 during startup) and uninstall the drivers for that particular hardware.

While in safe mode - go to the run command and type msconfig - - in the startup tab - click on disable all and reboot.

another thing to try is take out any hardware that you can and try booting it up - if it boots up fine - lets say with the dialup modem (example hardware) not installed - than that may be your culprit.

hope that helps

Krystian

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Ok, first of all. Is your computer a laptop or a desktop??

What brand and model is it?

What is the message it gives with the pressing F1 request?

DaveByers

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Its a pc desktop clone, no new hardware added recently. It will not load safe mode or any other mode of windows. The message after pressing F1 is verifying DMI Pool data, It then go's to the screen asking what mode I want to use, standard, safe etc.

techmanc

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Try tapping the F8 key as its booting up then select "Load last known good Configuration" System will reboot and hopefully boot up

DaveByers

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
The option you suggest is there with the safe mode , safe mode with networking etc. The computer will not enter windows under any circumstances. Now I am being told by other sources that there is a virus that meets this description.

Enter

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I agree with DaveByers, there is a type of virus that in form of script(which can be made from notepad,funny? I am not kidding.) that capable to accomplish this. Furthermore, this virus cannot be detected by norton(as far as i know) but avast can(I already test this). If you are norton user, think twice. This how the virus works :

-A person made the virus, send as malware.
-The malware downloaded into your computer when you doing something(email,etc)
-You see a weird app in your desktop.
-You click it.
-Nothing happens.
-Next morning , want to use xp. Reboot forever....

For all forumer, beware. This type of virus does not activate if you does not click it.So, trash it forever when u found it.

For you DaveBryers, just reformat.

techdeuce

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Seen this on too many PC's too, automatic windows update at 3am, downloads and installs an update... then either fails during the install or there is a poweroutage during the install. Leaves messed up, missing or currupted system files. If you have your xp CD you can do a repair installation, but if you feel afraid to do this, let a real professional fix it. Or possible virus, or possible hard drive bad spots in the system32 folder under windows.

jaeseven

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

I am a professional, but this one pc I have is crazy. It won't boot up after a reinstall of windows xp either, but it will do fine with linux. It worked with xp before so I'm semi lost. The hdd is fine itself, but that is what it blames the error on. The only thing I have left to try is chkdsk /f while it is in another computer, other than that I have tried everything from boot loaders to killdisks to wipe excess information corrupting the installation to chkdsk /r after a chkdsk /p in the recovery section. I don't know what else I'm going to be able to do with it.

What is the PC doing? Where is it hanging? BSOD?

Have you tried the fixboot or fixmbr command in the repair console?

jaeseven

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
yes I have tried those, I literally have almost tried everything, but it starts up and shows the loading screen for just a second then instant blue screen and then it restarts itself and does it all over again, I tried dif. xp cds, no use.

thehands

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
From that screen (Windows Advanced Startup Options) select the option to disable automatic restart on system failure. That, at least, will stop the incessant rebooting and allow you to view any error messages that may be there.

matt_obrien

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
My laptop id doing the same thing, so i fired my desktop up that hasnt been used in 2 months since i got the laptop and 5 mins of searching the web for solutions my desktop froze up and started doing what the laptop was doin..could it be tracked to my ip? how did my desktop get the same virus my laptop recieved just after 5 mins? i also checked my email in that 5 mins it froze up while trying to contact a computer guru i know of. is there anyway to get around this problem without having to reformat my HD's? And if i install windows 98 "which is the only operating disk i own" will my hardware drivers stay on the hd? or will i have to find all the hardware drivers on my own since i dont have the drivers disks? Im at a loss here..

panik_studios

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Some of you people are claiming to be professional but you cannot see the obvious, so I think it's time to go back to school...

Your computer is having hardware problem relative to the motherboard most likely..

blue screen gives that away.. try a new harddrive.. if it's not that .. it's most likely a bad mobo which is the worst possible.. and sometimes videocards can do it..

try taking out all devices that you dont need to run the computer

pci cards
pci x cards
extra ram..
network adapters
usb
sata or ide accesorries

If it starts with them out.. start putting them in 1 by 1 untill you find out whats bad

if it doesnt work still the motherboard is bad.. look into getting a new one or new computer..

and again this I feel is because if it were a virus or missing system files u'd at least get to the windows screen....

no this sounds alot like a hardware failure
see it all the time with graphics cards.. to the point it will shut off the second it turns on.. or wont even turn on at all..

hope you figure it out.. good luck..

panik_studios

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Some of you people are claiming to be professional but you cannot see the obvious, so I think it's time to go back to school...

Your computer is having hardware problem relative to the motherboard most likely..

blue screen gives that away.. try a new harddrive.. if it's not that .. it's most likely a bad mobo which is the worst possible.. and sometimes videocards can do it..

try taking out all devices that you dont need to run the computer

pci cards
pci x cards
extra ram..
network adapters
usb
sata or ide accesorries

If it starts with them out.. start putting them in 1 by 1 untill you find out whats bad

if it doesnt work still the motherboard is bad.. look into getting a new one or new computer..

and again this I feel is because if it were a virus or missing system files u'd at least get to the windows screen....

no this sounds alot like a hardware failure
see it all the time with graphics cards.. to the point it will shut off the second it turns on.. or wont even turn on at all..

hope you figure it out.. good luck..

G

My computer just stopped dead, frozen in time. I reintalled xp pro and it just went round and round in circles........always ending up with a black screen and saying 'press any key to instal from cd'................But as mentioned somewhere else on these post it installed and ran Ubuntu ok. The only thing i can remeber doing before all this happened was installing something called Tapco Link which is a music recording interface. It did not instal properly so xp told me but it was there on my hard drive and with icon on desktop. It worked ok but some things did not run properly. If i bother to try and re-install xp pro I will discombobulate that first.

my02cents

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
I was having the same problem. I could get into Safe mode but otherwise all other options lead to constant rebooting. Thanks for the suggestion about how to disable automatic restart. I did that and got the BSOD error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

I ran check disk in windows and again from the command line, then a defrag in safe mode, but no bad sectors appeared. I ran an Avira virus scan which found a few things but there was no change on reboot. As far as I could tell there was nothing wrong with the drive. I tried the WinXP repair (non-recovery console version) and it ran but didn't change the situation. So I finally opened the box and decided to change the IDE cable and surprise, surprise, it worked. So either the cable had gone bad or the connection had weakened or loosened (sometimes the PC gets kicked inadvertently being under the desk.)

Bottom line, be sure to activate the blue screen of death and research the error code. BTW, apparently if you get UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME with the code STOP 0x000000ED (0xC0000032...) MS says "the error is that the file system is damaged." Which is bad news.

jonhalberda

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
i used to work in a computer shop and i had to fix this problem all the time, its a glitch in the win32 folder if you slave your drive to a different computer and there is a certain file you have to delete to get it to work again.. im unsure what the file is but i know thats how i used to do it. if anyone know what file it is i would like to know.

Silverbirch1

Honorable
May 29, 2012

PLEASE! If you find out what the file is that has to be deleted, please post it here, or message me! My P4 that I only used as a surveillance system started having problems that seemed to be either video or memory probably, but possibly the mobo going bad. I discovered that the mobo popped 4 caps, so I stripped everything out of it and put the 80Gb Ide hdd in another computer with an 80Gb SATA hdd. Because the SATA hdd has no OS, I wanted the IDE as the master, but when I powered up the system, it started this auto restart looping. It gets to where I have the choice of Safe, Safe with Net, etc, etc, and I choose one, but it just restarts again. Over and Over and Over. :( I don't know what I did wrong, except possibly making the IDE hdd slaved instead of master. Please help!

Mathew_19

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
Whys and Wherefores
The Windows 7 operating system suddenly restarts on its own during use.

Cause
The cause of the problem is that Windows 7 is set by default to automatically restart the operating system after a system failure.

Solution
It is recommended that you cancel automatic restart. If you restart after every system failure, then you will not be able to see some error messages. At "Start" -> "Computer" --> right click on "Properties", and then tap "Advanced system settings".
i hope your problem is solved otherwise you also try this link any moor information about this issue http://

TRENDING THREADS