Computer Keeps Shutting Down/Crashing

dakang

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
I need help desperately. Here is my problem:
When I am on my computer for over 30 minuted my computer will sometimes shut down out of nowhere. Also, when I am playing a game, like Counter-Strike, the program will crash or my computer will shutdown also. When I restart comp and try to play game or do something it shuts down again. I was thinking the problem was an overheating CPU or bad driver for the Vid card, but I just dont know. Can someone help me?

When I check the bios to see what my CPU temp is, its around 150-160 degrees Farenheit. Is this bad?

Here are my comp specs:

AMD XP 2200+
MSI K7N2 Nforce MotherBoard (MS-9670)
256Mb Crucial DDR 333 2700
ATI Radeon 9700 128Mb
230W Power Supply.
2 OnBoard Fans, 1 Directly over the CPU
Stock CPU/Heatsink FAN
Windows XP
Maxtor 40 Gb HD

Thanks a lot guys.

reever2

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=137996#137996" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=137996#137996</A>

Also try switching dimm slots and see if it helps...

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
When I check the bios to see what my CPU temp is, its around 150-160 degrees Farenheit. Is this bad?
D'oh! I skipped over that part. Yes. This is bad. Try a different HS/fan. I would also upgrade that power supply.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

dakang

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
Black Cat - Im guessing that my power supply is 230W. How do I check to make sure that this is right?
And why would a smaller power supply make the computer shutup randomly?

Also, do you know what a normal tempature for the AMD Athlon 2200 is? I dont know why it would be overheating with the fan/hs the chip came with. Can I sent it back to AMD and they would send me a new one? Thanks.

Check the label on the power supply to see what it is rated at. If your case isn't a mini-atx variety, I would recommend a 420 watt turbo link dual fan from buyextremegear for $20 plus shipping. It's a standard atx power supply. I use a L&C 350 watt single fan. It's very quiet and a little cheaper than the turbo link. If you're not overclocking, the stock amd heatsink will work fine. Don't worry too much about temps. I use a zalman fan mate one to reduce my cpu fan rpms to 3000. My xp2000 is stable at 50-57 celcius. Also be sure your heatsink isn't on backwards.

dakang

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
why would the power supply make the computer shut down?

Does my motherboard bios sense that my cpu is too hot (65c) and auto shut it down?

arkaell

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003
my PC also keeps hanging but it happens during transfers of large amounts of data between my hard drive partitions, during burning Data onto a CD and even if I scan my whole PC with an anti-virus. It is so weird because it does not happen when I play 3d games or use heavy programs like photoshop or Matlab. I am also updated with all the latest drivers for my motherboard ang videocard

Here are my PC specs
AMD Athlon XP 2Ghz+ 266MHz
Asus A7V266-C VIA VT8233A motherboard
256 Mb DDR RAM
Geforce 2 MX200 64 Mb video card
Asus CD-RW
1 CPU fan (Coolermaster)
Seagate 40 Gig
Win98 SE

Thanks for the help! :)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
why would the power supply make the computer shut down?
That's like asking "Why would suddenly unplugging the computer make it shut down?".

If the power supply kacks because the PC wants more juice than the power supply can provide then it stops providing power to the PC. (Well that or it bursts into flames and <i>then</i> stops providing power to the PC.) No power to PC = PC not running.

<font color=purple><pre><b>There are 10 types of people in this world: those who can understand binary and those who can't.</b></pre><p></font color=purple>