[SOLVED] Computer keeps shutting down in games

ujeniuceduardciprian

Commendable
Nov 11, 2017
Hi, so I have started making a secondary computer for a friend. And since buying a graphics card (rx 580 on 4gb) it keeps shutting down while in games. After a minute or two.
It can't be the graphics card as I used it on my pc with no issues.
I changed the psu twice. From 400W to 600W right now. And I do not think that was a issue. I changed the hdd as well. That helped a bit, it closes after longer time.

I also changed the motherboard, so it isn't that either.
The windows was reinstalled around 3 times. So that's not the issue.

The cpu never went over 60 C degrees. It's an Fx 6100

The motherboard has an 8 pin connector but all the PSU i used had 4 pin connector. Does that have to do with it?

I searched online and most people say that you can use 4 pin in the 8 pin slot with no issues.

Could it be some driver issue?

Would a 4 to 8 pin adapter change it?
Please help

Solution
It's called "Delux 600W" The model name is DLP-550S

I really don't think it's the psu. I've tried 3 psu's and all of them did it.

I think it might be the 4 pin pci-e instead of an 8 pin. I think I'll go later and buy a adapter.

Were all three PSUs this shockingly low quality? Even if this were a quality PSU otherwise -- it's not -- this model's specs means that it's only actually barely a 300W power supply when using a GPU and a CPU made after about 1998. This PC should never have even been turned on with the PSU/GPU in place.

If the other PSUs were this brutal, then the first thing to do is to get an actual, proper power supply in there and re-evaluate the situation. Even worse is that by using a power supply such as this...

ujeniuceduardciprian

Commendable
Nov 11, 2017
Likely poor PSu choices. 400w isn't enough and a 600w PSu without pci-e cables means it's likely old junk. Whats the make and model of the 600w PSU?

I think it might be the 4 pin pci-e instead of an 8 pin. I think I'll go later and buy a adapter.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Were all three PSUs this shockingly low quality? Even if this were a quality PSU otherwise -- it's not -- this model's specs means that it's only actually barely a 300W power supply when using a GPU and a CPU made after about 1998. This PC should never have even been turned on with the PSU/GPU in place.

If the other PSUs were this brutal, then the first thing to do is to get an actual, proper power supply in there and re-evaluate the situation. Even worse is that by using a power supply such as this, there may be other component damage as well.

An adapter is the worst thing to do. You don't fix a power problem by installing a fire hazard. And really, until this thing is powered properly, you shouldn't do anything that would result in you trying to turn this PC on.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan

Well if the other PSU's were like that "delux" then yes they likely are the problem. It's old generic garbage and not capable of running a card like the RX580. It advertised as 600w but can't even deliver 400w where it counts. Get a decent PSU and stop buying generic garbage. A decent modern PSU(even a budget model) will have all the connections required without having to use adapters.