Computer keeps shutting down...

KamiShino

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
I'm not sure where this should go, but I've had ongoing problems with my PC for a few weeks now. I'm also not very knowledgeable about technical details, so please bear with me. When I play some games, specifically Star Wars: The Old Republic, and X-Com: Enemy Within, the entire computer shuts off, going straight to a black screen. All fans shut down, etc., and the only light on inside of the case is a small green one right above my PSU. When I turn the system back on afterwards, two red lights appear on the motherboard, one close to the PSU, and one at the top of the motherboard. Sometimes it takes 3-5 powerups for the computer to actually start up, instead of turning and and shutting back down. I'm not sure what information you might need to help with this, so I'll post some here.

GPU: GeForce GTX 660 (Latest driver version installed, 340.52)
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-core Processor
RAM: 8 GB
Motherboard: Sabertooth FX990 R2.0
PSU: 1200W...don't remember the exact model, trying to dig through receipts to find it, and will post the type when I can find it. I do use the power cord that came with the PSU though, I was told that I should only use that one.

I do also have 2 additional fans hooked up to the system, not sure on the temperature though.

Additionally, I did take it in to a local computer repair shop. The person there informed me that the system was running fine and they had stress tested it using Assassin's Creed at highest settings for 6 hours straight with no crashes. He told me it was most likely a grounding issue with my outlet at home. This seemed strange, as the system ran fine for months before the problem started occurring, but I couldn't argue with the results. However, I've had an electrician come out to my home and he said my outlet was properly grounded, and checked my power box out back as well, and assured me that everything was in good shape. Within 30 minutes of resuming play, the system began to crash again. To further test this, I brought my rig over to a relative's house who had just recently finished renovating, including an electrical reword, and the system still crashes multiple times as well.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to describe my situation as best I could. I'm at my wit's end here trying to get this to work, and I really don't know what to do anymore.

Preecher

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Perhaps your memory?

On page 38 (section 1.2.6) of the manual for that motherboard, it states the DRAM_LED light will light continuously if a dimm fails boot test. Try testing with each stick individually to see if one or both mem sticks are suspect.