Question Computer lags/freezes after closing games

Aug 29, 2019
Hi all!
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, please let me know if not.

Basically my computer has started severely lagging and/or freezing when I close games sometimes. The games will run completely smoothly and without issue, but as soon as I close it the computer either has a huge delay with anything I try to do or stops responding completely. It will take up to a 30-60 seconds to register a mouse movement or to close something.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare seems to be the Achilles heel in this case, as it happens every single time I close the game now. I've looked on forums related specifically to that game but can't find anyone with a similar issue...

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Any advice?

Specs:
Intel i5 9600k
Nvidia 1660ti
16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM (3200mhz)
Boot drive - 500gb NVMe SSD
Main game drive - 1tb SATA SSD
Secondary drive (COD storage location) - 1tb NVMe SSD

SilverChris

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017
Hey, sorry to necro this but I'm having the exact same issue with Call of Duty:MW
And I think this started after I updated Windows 10 to 2004 version.
Have you managed to find a fix?

Aug 29, 2019
Hey, sorry to necro this but I'm having the exact same issue with Call of Duty:MW
And I think this started after I updated Windows 10 to 2004 version.
Have you managed to find a fix?
I'd forgotten all about this post! I only managed to fix my issue after doing a fresh install of Windows. When the issue came back, along with random crashes, I discovered I had an issue with my motherboard and had to replace it. Everything has been working perfectly since.
I haven't updated to Windows 2004 yet (update wasn't available when I last checked) but if I get anything similar I'll let you know.

SilverChris

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017
I'd forgotten all about this post! I only managed to fix my issue after doing a fresh install of Windows. When the issue came back, along with random crashes, I discovered I had an issue with my motherboard and had to replace it. Everything has been working perfectly since.
I haven't updated to Windows 2004 yet (update wasn't available when I last checked) but if I get anything similar I'll let you know.
Thanks for your prompt response, Im still trying to find a solution, but I'm thinking of going the clean windows install route!

Thanks again for your help.