Question Computer left on in closed cabinet for four days - hot weather

Cassie2011

Commendable
May 26, 2021
Hello! Any thoughts much appreciated. I’m pretty bummed about this. New Aurora R10 decided to turn itself on for some reason.. unbeknownst to me.. & stay on for four days.. one of which was 90 degrees! Since sleep isn’t set, it just stayed at the desktop the whole time. When I finally noticed it’s on, the small cabinet where it’s closed in & everything is very warm. The cabinet is just large enough to fit the pc, so there’s very little circulation when closed. I immediately go to check the temps in my monitoring software. CPU spikes to 80 when opening the program and stabilizes at around 60s, while graphics card is in 40s. This doesn’t sound too bad right, but I can only imagine what it was at on the prior 90 degree day . Is there any way I check the health of the system & see if any damage has been done from this incident?

Hello! Any thoughts much appreciated. I’m pretty bummed about this. New Aurora R10 decided to turn itself on for some reason.. unbeknownst to me.. & stay on for four days.. one of which was 90 degrees! Since sleep isn’t set, it just stayed at the desktop the whole time. When I finally noticed it’s on, the small cabinet where it’s closed in & everything is very warm. The cabinet is just large enough to fit the pc, so there’s very little circulation when closed. I immediately go to check the temps in my monitoring software. CPU spikes to 80 when opening the program and stabilizes at around 60s, while graphics card is in 40s. This doesn’t sound too bad right, but I can only imagine what it was at on the prior 90 degree day . Is there any way I check the health of the system & see if any damage has been done from this incident?
The system would shut itself down if anything got too hot. There is zero need to worry about checking if "damage" was done because a computer cannot functionally damage itself due to temperatures except in a few scenarios that you could not have been in.

Reactions: Cassie2011

Cassie2011

Commendable
May 26, 2021
Thank you so much for your response. Helping put my mind at ease a bit. I can’t shake that 90 degrees seems dangerous to run a pc let alone in a closed cabinet. When I discovered it was on we were back down in the 60s so I assume the temp readings where much higher on the hot day. Then again you said PC’s shut themselves down if they get to the danger point so I guess I’m okay?

Thank you so much for your response. Helping put my mind at ease a bit. I can’t shake that 90 degrees seems dangerous to run a pc let alone in a closed cabinet. When I discovered it was on we were back down in the 60s so I assume the temp readings where much higher on the hot day. Then again you said PC’s shut themselves down if they get to the danger point so I guess I’m okay?
The CPU would have to get 100 C or higher to start the chance at damage and there are many failsafes that prevent it from getting to damaging temperatures.

Cassie2011

Commendable
May 26, 2021
Thanks again for the reply. When I say 90s i mean that was the external temps not hardware temps..like as in a really hot day. It seems feasible that the air in the cabinet could have been upwards of 100 degrees stressing the computer to who knows what.. I didn’t discover until the day after when it was much cooler and those are the hardware temps I was referring too. Do you think I still shouldn’t be worried lol?

Thanks again for the reply. When I say 90s i mean that was the external temps not hardware temps..like as in a really hot day. It seems feasible that the air in the cabinet could have been upwards of 100 degrees stressing the computer to who knows what.. I didn’t discover until the day after when it was much cooler and those are the hardware temps I was referring too. Do you think I still shouldn’t be worried lol?
Does it work?