Question Computer less that 1 year old, now games make the fans run loud and click.

Apr 18, 2021
First timer here, thank you for all the amazing information I have received from these forums!

This one has me stumped and frustrated.

I have a pretty strong computer and it's less than a year old, but for the past couple months the fans run incredibly hard and click very loudly.

The odd thing is that when playing modern games such as Fortnite or ARK the PC is usually very quiet.

Games like Jurassic World Evolution, Star Craft 2, or Diablo 2, run my fans like a jet engine. This happens from time to time on the above mentioned games as well.

I have been spraying out my PC weekly, as I am in a very dusty area, but I have lived here for 12 years and owned multiple PCs that did not require this much cleaning.

Spraying out does seem to help, but the LOUD clicking sound when the (I believe front case fans) never stops.

Thank you all for everything you do!

HailMike

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Locate the specific source of that loud clicking noise.

Note: you mentioned front case fans and you also mentioned "spraying out my PC weekly". How are you doing that spraying - canned air? Do you hold the fan blades so they do not free spin in the air blast? Allowing the fans to spin while being blasted (sprayed) can damage fan bearings.

Also bear in mind that if you have HDD's the click could be coming from a HDD.

In any case be sure to have all important data backed but remember if the problem is within a HDD any thing you do could cause further failure and data loss.

Key is to locate the source of the noise. Use a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet to paper to carefully listen around the system.

The cardboard tube will provide more focus.

Apr 18, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Locate the specific source of that loud clicking noise.

Note: you mentioned front case fans and you also mentioned "spraying out my PC weekly". How are you doing that spraying - canned air? Do you hold the fan blades so they do not free spin in the air blast? Allowing the fans to spin while being blasted (sprayed) can damage fan bearings.

Also bear in mind that if you have HDD's the click could be coming from a HDD.

In any case be sure to have all important data backed but remember if the problem is within a HDD any thing you do could cause further failure and data loss.

Key is to locate the source of the noise. Use a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet to paper to carefully listen around the system.

The cardboard tube will provide more focus.

Sorry, very new to this!

Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700KF CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

Ram: 16GB

Windows 10 Home

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

The sound would appear to be coming from the top case fan at the front.
The main game this is happening in is Diablo 2. The moment I start running around in a dungeon the computer goes berserk, spinning and clicking like crazy.
I can then jump into Fortnite at max graphics and it is quiet as a kitten.

I only have an SSD.

I hope I did this right!

Thanks!