Computer Like a Tar Pit During Startup

endermanslayer24

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
I've had a problem recently (like the past 6 months) where my computer takes ages to start up properly.

I timed it with my stopwatch...
2m 9s to get to desktop
plus a 52s right after that just to open my home tab in chrome

I tried cutting down on startup processes, but there was only milliseconds of a difference.

Solution

30 seconds off a 2 min start time is a 25% improvement, that's pretty significant. A clean Windows setup may help, but you may want to wait till you can get a solid state drive to do that.
Without full system specs no way to know if it's just a slow computer or an issue. Also need to know if anything happened before this started, OS change, driver change, virus, something else?

Do a drive check with a utility from the drive vendor, see if there are any issued with the hard drive.

endermanslayer24

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015

Ok here's system:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 hex core (3.5 GHz)

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 950 (display 1600x900)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (x2)

Drives:
WDC WD1001FALS-00Y6A0 (S.ATA) 1TB
Hitachi HTS723232L9A360 (ATA) 320 GB

Cooling: Stock
any more needed?

Nothing that I know of happened that may be the cause of this... I did get a new GPU but that's after this started happening.
I am running a disk check as I type.

Unplug your secondary drive, see how long it takes after that.

Also the SSD suggestion is very valid, replacing a regular drive with and SSD makes is seem like you got a new computer.

endermanslayer24

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015

Ok, I took out the secondary and it took about 30 seconds off at the most (idrk why I had it in the first place, it's completely blank). Frankly it's still a long time.

I've considered getting an solid state... Though I haven't looked into it at all. I haven't any idea what brand, or size to get.

30 seconds off a 2 min start time is a 25% improvement, that's pretty significant. A clean Windows setup may help, but you may want to wait till you can get a solid state drive to do that.

Solution