Computer Loading Issues

Sep 12, 2018
I hope that this is the right forum to put this in. I'm currently running a 7 year old Mac desktop computer. I mostly use a Windows 7 partition through bootcamp this way I can play my games. The computer has an i7-4771 cpu @ 3.5 GHz, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M and 16 GB of RAM. The computer itself is slowing down during startup as of late. It will also drop Steam downloads and restart them after a few seconds. Lastly as of the day of this posting it did not load up properly. It loaded up to the Windows desktop and then froze halfway through loading and I couldn't do anything. Once I did a hard restart I was able to move my mouse but not click anything. I had to restart it 5 times for it to respond so that I could backup my files.

I was wanting to see if anyone could help me figure out what was going wrong with it. I think it might be a hard drive issue. I also would like some advice on how to get it to last me till the end of this year/ beginning of next year since that is when I will be able to build my own PC. Thank you for anyone who is able to help me with this.

Sep 12, 2018

It still has around 100GB. The OS X side is not currently up to date. The system wanted me to delete the partition before updating. Lastly I would not have any idea how to test the HDD health.

Sep 12, 2018

Thank you COLGeek for providing me with Seatools. I ran the tests and my HDD is running just fine. It might have been the amount of space I had left. I thought I had around 100 GB but in reality I only had 59 GB. Why does this cause my computer to slow down? Also does keeping the Mac OS side of my computer updated help with the Bootcamp partition performance?

Sep 12, 2018

Ok so as of writing this reply I have 129 GB out of 480 GB free on the partition. I was able to free up some space. So if I update the Mac OS then the partition will run faster? Of course this means I will have to redo the partition since last time I tried to update it said that I had to get rid of the partition for the update to work properly.