i7 6700k
Gigabyte z170x gaming 7
EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0+
EVGA Supernova 850W P2
Samsung 512gb 950 Pro M.2
Two more disk drives, one SSD
Windows 10 64bit

Problem:
Computer was running great for 3 years. I then decided to do a clean install of Windows as a quick way to clean up the junk in my computer. As a result of that, my computer now locks up under heavy loads (athough it has happened while just browsing the web). Screen shows last frame and I am forced to hard reset. No BSOD, no black screens. Just frozen screen. The sound does not play the last sound bit infinitely (I know that this is a common symptom people experience with crashes.)

Things I've tried:
Clean windows install
BIOS upgrade
BIOS downgrade
Updated to latest Nvidia drivers
Downgraded to same Nvidia driver before crashes occurred.
Mobo RMA
GPU RMA
Brand New PSU
Ran memtest for 6 hours, reported no issues.

Important (I think): computer does not seem to crash when I move the GPU to the PCI x8 slot from the PCI x16 slot. I have successfully played games for 30 minutes where the old computer would crash within 10.

I would love some help debugging this. I have replaced every part I think may have had an effect and continue to see the same problem. I have tried scouring the Event Viewer, but can't spot anything out of the ordinary. Please let me know if there's anything else I can try. I have been working at this for months now.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Wow you've just about tried everything moopmetoo :( (However Hears the clue)
Quote/
Important (I think): computer does not seem to crash when I move the GPU to the PCI x8 slot from the PCI x16 slot. I have successfully played games for 30 minutes where the old computer would crash within 10. End Quote/

If the slot is contaminated or damage to the contact pins, then as you describe, this would occur so carefully inspect and blow out the PCI X16 slot with compressed air from a canister and inspect the contact pins on the card. If you can get hold off another GPU to try, that would be good.
That should determine if its the slot or the card. If you have a dead slot then RMA the MB and if another card works then RMA the GPU.
This definitely is a hardware issue. You should RMA the RAM or try a different kit. Testing means nothing with RAM. I've seen it countless times that systems pass RAM tests and the issue was still the RAM. My machine had boot issues for two years and very rare bluescreens. I just got the RAM RMA back this Monday and no more issues.

Also, check your CPU temps if you haven't. Make sure your machine isn't shutting off due to thermal issues. If you have a water cooler, pump failures are a possibility and it would explain shutting off under load.

Wow you've just about tried everything moopmetoo :( (However Hears the clue)
Quote/
Important (I think): computer does not seem to crash when I move the GPU to the PCI x8 slot from the PCI x16 slot. I have successfully played games for 30 minutes where the old computer would crash within 10. End Quote/

If the slot is contaminated or damage to the contact pins, then as you describe, this would occur so carefully inspect and blow out the PCI X16 slot with compressed air from a canister and inspect the contact pins on the card. If you can get hold off another GPU to try, that would be good.
That should determine if its the slot or the card. If you have a dead slot then RMA the MB and if another card works then RMA the GPU.

Solution

But he did RMA the Mobo and GPU!

Well just like you say " Testing means nothing with RAM" so you could say the same with an RMA. If they find nothing wrong with the MB they just send it back and same with a GPU. Why then if both are OK does the system crash in the PCI X16 and not the PCI X8 slot.? I'm all ears!!!

True! I guess he would have to confirm if they sent him replacements or not on the gpu and mobo. This makes your point more valid. In my experience most manufacturers just send replacements, but I did have a situation where Gigabyte sent me back a fixed card. Forgot about that one.

[/quotemsg]
True! I guess he would have to confirm if they sent him replacements or not on the gpu and mobo. This makes your point more valid. In my experience most manufacturers just send replacements, but I did have a situation where Gigabyte sent me back a fixed card. Forgot about that one.[/quotemsg]

Thanks for validating my point

moopmetoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hi MeanMachine41 and N3rdR4ge!

Thanks for chiming in. This is my first time posting and it just feels nice to have some company during hard times...

I confirmed with EVGA that I was indeed sent another card, and the mobo RMA through Gigabyte was an Advance RMA, so I had the new mobo before sending out my current one.

I have also done some more testing that didn't result in any new information, but I guess is still helpful for documentation:

I tested using each RAM stick one at a time and experienced the same lock up. I suppose this shows that there isn't just one stick that is the culprit (unless both are broken), but I don't see how RAM would play in with the PCIe lanes, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I also took out my M.2 card (I realized that M.2 cards actually send data through PCI), and did another clean install of Windows on another drive, same issue.

At this point my final guess is that it's the CPU... I can't find the link now, but I remember reading somewhere that the CPU plays a part in controlling the PCIe lanes... So I'll submit an RMA for that and if that doesn't work, I'm going to buy a Mac (jk)