[SOLVED] Computer Lockups

Coolguy28

Commendable
Dec 5, 2020
Ever since I installed new fans on my pc, I’ve been getting random lockup’s. When this happens the Q-Code is a normal healthy one. Could this mean my motherboard is broken and is the culprit behind the lockup’s?

Solution
I plugged it into the motherboard io. However these crashes only started happening before I installed the usb webcam. I’ve done some research just now and if the audio keeps playing but the screen freezes up and computer is unresponsive, could that be related to the gpu?
...or the PSU. Revert all OC settings to stock to see if system becomes stable, just as an experiment.

Coolguy28

Commendable
Dec 5, 2020
What fans did you recently install?

What are the specs for this rig (make/model of all installed components)?
Ryzen 7 3700x, ROG Rtx 2070 Super (Factory overclocked but I still was able to give it an extra 70 on the core and 600 on the memory clock), Corsair RM 650 80+ Gold, NZXT H510 Elite (I did not replace the RGB fans but I did replace the non rgb ones), Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 gigs 3200 mhz, ROG X570-E motherboard, one WD Blue 500 gig sata ssd and another Samsung Qvo one terabyte sata ssd. The fans replaced the old non rgb ones with were the BeQuite Silent Wings 3 both 140 mm and 120mm High RPM edition. I have already reinstalled the gpu drivers and updated the bios. Also to clarify on the overclock, the problems happened before I overclocked my gpu. The computer was working perfectly before I installed the fans. Temps also seem to be fine during idle and under load.

Coolguy28

Commendable
Dec 5, 2020
I assume you connected the new fans like the original fans were connected. Also, when you installed the new fans, did you change or remove anything else? Please confirm that you had no other issues before swapping fans.
My old fans were connected with the smart controller that comes with the case. My new ones are connected to the motherboard fan headers instead. I redid some cable management while I was there also. The computer was working flawlessly before I installed the fans.

Coolguy28

Commendable
Dec 5, 2020
Should be okay. Try connecting as originally connected to see if it makes a difference. While in system, make sure everything, particularly cables and memory, are firmly inserted/connected.
Out of curiosity, I don’t think I did but if I have accident scraped one of the motherboard traces, could that also be a possible cause? I had a pretty hard time reaching some of the fan headers so it it makes me wonder. Also, just for some extra info, it happens at completely random times and has only happened once while gaming and never under a stress test. Mostly while during zoom calls and such.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Traces are more durable than you would think. While possible to damage via a scrape, it would need to have been more than just a minor scratch.

What webcam are you using and is it connected to a front or rear panel USB port? If front, change to back to see if it makes a difference.

Coolguy28

Commendable
Dec 5, 2020
Traces are more durable than you would think. While possible to damage via a scrape, it would need to have been more than just a minor scratch.

What webcam are you using and is it connected to a front or rear panel USB port? If front, change to back to see if it makes a difference.
I plugged it into the motherboard io. However these crashes only started happening before I installed the usb webcam. I’ve done some research just now and if the audio keeps playing but the screen freezes up and computer is unresponsive, could that be related to the gpu?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
...or the PSU. Revert all OC settings to stock to see if system becomes stable, just as an experiment.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS