Computer loses power during gameplay only

Feb 27, 2018
I recently built a new computer all except for the power supply which is now roughly 5 - 6 years old. It is a corsair 700 watt, don't know the specifics off hand.

The rest of the system is as follows:

Mobo: Asus z370-e gaming
Cpu: I5 8600k w/evga clc 240 cooling
Evga gtx 1080 sc
16 gigs RAM corsair vengence 2666
Samsung evo 500gig ssd

No overclocks

Issue: As stated in the title; my computer is shutting off during gaming. I've tried it on two different game titled multiple times with no luck. The time of the power loss is seemingly consistent with exiting a cinematic scene. I upgraded the bios since to the latest version hoping it would help. It seemed to have fixed my problem until just recently. Although it took longer to occur. This time around it went through multiple scenes without loss of power.

Without jumping to conclusions of the psu being faulty... what steps should I take to troubleshoot my issue?

Solution
agreed. the fact that your computer shuts off the moment you start playing a graphically intensive game means your GPU requires an amount of power your power supply can't (or no longer) can handle
You can check event viewer to see if there are any power errors reported.

But a 5-6 year old PSU has had a good run, PSU degrade over time, not knowing the exact model of power supply its hard to say.

If your able to boot right back up it could be that the voltage is dropping just enough to tip a shutdown.

Feb 27, 2018
Thing is I forgot to mention I was running a gtx 480 which has a higher power consumption than a gtx 1080. Is that not correct? On that gpu there were no issues. I will try to look at power reports as someone mentioned and go from there. After that I will attempt to clean the psu.

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
Double check also power cables to your card. Ofc it can be PSU but I had issue like this and I found i just had one loose cable. So until GPU was idle or on low it was drawing enough power through one cable and moment I started something more intensive it needed more power and shutdown because it couldnt get it from one cable.