Computer losing power unexpectedly after installing new GPU.

DaDiRa

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
First things first. I'm fairly certain it's not due to GPU overload/overheating and or/insufficient PSU power. I will get into details later in this post. I will be using "crashing" in my following text, by which I mean the computer shuts down without any warning message or error, as if there's a power outage.

CPU: AMD A10-7850K
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 797MHz (11-11-11-28)
Mobo: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A88XM-A/USB 3.1 (FM2+ )
(No GPU, I use the processor's graphics)
HDD: 465GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 (SATA )
Audio Card: ASUS Xonar DG
Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1
Plus a generic 600W PSU.

I got an Asrock RX 560 and an SSD as an upgrade, as I was suggested in another thread. The problem was first noticed when I tried to play Hitman using DirectX 12. I soon figured that once I changed it back to DirectX 11, the crashes completely stopped for this game. Later, I was trying to play the campaign of Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (a 2007 game, mind you) and it kept crashing my computer after 5 minutes. At the same time, I had a problem with multiplayer, which gave me a DirectX 9 error, so I thought it has something to do with it again. I tried running it on compatibility mode for windows 7 and it solved the problem for both singleplayer and multiplayer. After a while, the PC crashed again twice while playing For Honor at random times (unlike the two previous cases where it crashed at certain points of the campaign).
Today I tried playing the CoD singleplayer again and it crashed one more time (which means compatibility mode worked only for a certain part). What's interesting is that I played multiplayer for several hours yesterday, without crashing at all, as well as I played various "heavier" games before this one without a problem at all.

I've tried looking at the Event Viewer, but all I get is a Critical Error entry that says the computer shut down unexpectedly. Also, no dump files are created for some reason (yes, I did enable it via the Startup and Recover settings).

I'm also thinking if it is related to drivers or AMD supporting software. I followed your guide here for a clean install of the drivers, but it didn't help. Also, after each crash, I get a "Default Radeon Wattman settings have crashed and been restored" so I'm wondering if it has at all to do with it. It also enables Eyefinity each time, which is annoying.

One last thing, in case it may be related: I've had a history of crashes with this computer. Since I got it, I would get an occasional "Thread Stuck In Device Driver" bsod, which I figured it was due to gaming with the integrated graphics while using dual monitors (most of the times, at least). I never managed to solve this problem, but I thought it would be gone if I installed a GPU.

TL;DR bullets:

• ■ PC shuts down while gaming
    ■ Mostly happens at certain points of a campaign (Hitman, due to DirectX12 and CoD 4, possibly due to DirectX 9) but has also happened randomly twice (For Honor)
    ■ Almost certain it's not the PSU or GPU overheating
    ■ No dump files created during said shut downs, so I can't use WhoCrashed
    ■ Event Viewer isn't helping either
    ■ History of BSODs with this computer (although formatted several times since then)
    ■ Cleaned old drivers and reinstalled the current ones, but didn't help
    ■ Only get related WattMan messages by Radeon software, which I can't figure out if they're related

I'll be happy to give you any other detail in case you need it to help me!

DaDiRa

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013

I highly doubt it's "oblivious". If it was just the PSU, there would be random shut downs when I'm playing heavier games that make the GPU consume more power. Instead, as I said in my lengthy post, these shutdowns only occur in certain (lighter) games, repeatedly, at certain points of the story.
If it has to do with the PSU, there have to be software conflicts that cause it to fail. Otherwise the crashes wouldn't be so specific.

Even so, if you are that certain it's the PSU, please suggest me a "proper" one for my build and I'll keep it in mind as a possible solution.