Computer making a grinding noise

Handoverfist

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hello,

I wish I never had to post here, but unfortunately it seems like I was unlucky with my new computer. I would like to thank the community first for always being supportive. First please see below for the specs:
CAS: CFI Boreallight w/ USB 3.0, EZ Swap HDD, 2x 120mm & 1x 140mm fans, Side Panel Window
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)
CS_FAN: Corsair AIR Series AF120 Performance Edition 120MM High Airflow Case Fan
FAN: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Enhance Cooling Performance (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull) ])
HDD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 540MB/s Read & 520MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD2: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z87-Pro ATX w/ Wi-Fi GO!, Ai Charger+, Intel GbLAN, 3 PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 4 PCIe x1
POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - Corsair RM850 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked W/ ACX Cooling)

Alright so a quick summary. I received my computer and took a million pictures to make sure nothing was damaged. Then I turned it on hurrah and ran every test I could. Everything came out perfect for temps and the card. I started using it just to play basic games like LOL and FF14 and then I noticed a grinding noise would happen for 5 mins. Then the next day I turned it on it would happen for 10 mins straight then stop. Last night when using it the grinding noise persisted for 40+ mins. I've read reviews that this could be a cooler or fan issue. I have read many reviews about the 120m Seidon about loud grinding noises. My temps have remained fine, but on a scale of 1-10 how screwed am I here? Is there an easy way to diagnose the issue for someone who isn't very experienced with computers. Please help I enjoy this computer to much to be left with a dead weight:(.

Handoverfist

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply. What do you mean by not having any room? The case seems like a behemoth for whats inside it. Is there an easy way for me to check if its the fan causing the noise? Is it safe for me to take the side case off while running the comp? Also, how could I check the fans in the front is there a way to remove the front of the case?

MFBLO96

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
I had the same problem with a corsair 850w on a system with a 780.

Corsair designs the psu fan to slowly power on around 300 watts. Around 300-350 the fan does not have enough force to start spinning and oscillated back and forth about 10 degrees each way. If the psu goes above 350 the fan will spin smothely, but I found that 300-350 the fan rocks back and forth making the noise as it does so.

I would turn the case of its side so you can see the cooling fan (if it is facing down, remove the panel of it is facing up) and run a gpu stress test. This should pull around 330w. Watch the fan on the psu to see if it oscillates back and forth.

Let me know if it does or not

TRENDING THREADS