Computer making a wining noise

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
So I have just discovered a program called folding@home if you dont know what it is its a program that uses your computer to synthesize genetic code to find the cure for some diseases. I downloaded the program and installed and I decided I was going to ramp it up to full power (using both 100% cpu and 100%gpu power). After doing that I noticed an emediate wining noise coming from inside my pc. After hearing the noise I backed down the program to low and once the gpu portion stopped the wining stopped. I have my gpu water cooled so it is not the fan on it. I did test the gpu with furmark after i discovered this and no wining noise at all.

I just wanna know if my gpu capacitors are wining? and if so is that a bad thing? It only happens when I am using folding@home on 100%

Solution
It is probably coil whine, it happens when a certain amount of data is being transferred from the GPU to elsewhere and with the increase of power, the components inside the GPU (specifically inductors) will create noise at a frequency that human ears are able to pick up.
I guess it just can't handle 100% load.

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

is it one of the capacitors that is wining do you think?

Well, I can't really tell you since I can't be there in person to troubleshoot it.
It could be PSU, GPU, or even CPU at times.
See if you can turn it to 99% or something lower than 100% and see if the whine continues. In addition, you can test for 100% CPU and none on GPU, vice versa.

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

I have done all that the only thing that makes the noise is that program which is the weird part. I have tried all the components separately and together I even did a memory test and nothing at all.

It is probably coil whine, it happens when a certain amount of data is being transferred from the GPU to elsewhere and with the increase of power, the components inside the GPU (specifically inductors) will create noise at a frequency that human ears are able to pick up.
I guess it just can't handle 100% load.

Solution