Question Computer making loud sudden noise when playing games.

Jun 1, 2019
Hello

Over the past few months my computer has started to have very sudden loud fan noise, it stays very loud for about 5-6 secs and then goes back down in volume. In order to make the computer not get these loud effects I've had to lower the graphics to ultra low and set the frame cap to 100 and this is playing games like CS:GO and Overwatch. Considering my computer speccs it really shouldnt be doing this. I do clean my computer regularly and try to get rid of as much dust as possible. My question is why this is happening. I've had this computer sense Oktober of 2016, could it be an age thing? Is it because the computer is on for to long? I'm mostly confused how these low level graphics games can cause so much damage considering that I could 4 months ago play Overwatch on ultra effects and 0 framrate cap without any issues. When Im playing Overwatch the temp iss 84-87 celcius. Im not sure if thats good or bad? As I'm writing this post I just noticed that I got a graphics drivers update to do, could that be a cause for the loud noises?

When thhis loud fan noise occurs there's no lag what so ever. No freezeing or stuttering what so ever.

Here are my speccs:

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM 8.0 GB

I'm not a tech guy to please try to be gentle with the technical terms in the replys if its possible, thanks in advance.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Might not be fan noise might be coil whine from the gpu, coil whine is generally of a higher frequency it can be considered a manufacturing defect & you may be able to rma the card under warranty.

Do you have a good quality psu? What's the make, model & wattage? You should also try to determine where exactly the coil whine is coming from:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DirFjf3OO4

could be psu, gpu or mobo, anything that has an inductor coil on it.

Jun 1, 2019
Might not be fan noise might be coil whine from the gpu, coil whine is generally of a higher frequency it can be considered a manufacturing defect & you may be able to rma the card under warranty.

Do you have a good quality psu? What's the make, model & wattage? You should also try to determine where exactly the coil whine is coming from:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DirFjf3OO4

could be psu, gpu or mobo, anything that has an inductor coil on it.

I'm not sure what psu I got and I will open up the computer later today to have a look, but after looking at this video I don't think this is it. The sound is very easily identified as a fan that is spinning up alooot. Its like the fans are going super fast to reduce the heat or pressure of the graphics card. Which also is wierd considering the games and graphics that its on shouldnt be a problem!

DavidM012

Distinguished
It seems like the temp is normal for your gpu, maybe simply a bad bearing causing a fan to rattle and if a fan isn't working right and running slow because of it, that could also explain why the card is running warmer, so it hits the trigger temp. the fan spins up and vibrates because it wobbles or frictions against the bearing.

You have to pinpoint which fan the sound is emanating from and, in the end it's either, warranty repair if poss or else you'll have to purchase a replacement fan and install it yourself if the warranty isn't an option, and you could also apply some fresh thermal paste while you're at it, mx-4 or whatever you've got, of the non-conductive variety. Grizzly cryonaught is one of the top performers in thermal pastes, but anything you have will get the job done too.

If you can still get a warranty repair it would be much preferable since replacement gpu fans can cost $20, if not it's a bit of a complex procedure to disassemble the card and replace the fan and also re-paste it, not terribly so but enough that you don't want to bodge it either. Here's a gtx 970 teardown vid. several are available on youtube if you need a guide to replace a fan and the thermal paste.

If it's the psu fan, it is not recommended to try and replace it, due to potential risk of electric shock from residual power, if you open it up and accidentally touch the components. Get a warranty replacement if poss. otherwise replace the unit entirely.

cpu fans/chassis fans are easily replaceable if a bearing is worn, though you'd hope they last longer than a mere 3 years, well I guess only the premium aftermarket fans have any decent mean time before failure.

Jun 1, 2019
It seems like the temp is normal for your gpu, maybe simply a bad bearing causing a fan to rattle and if a fan isn't working right and running slow because of it, that could also explain why the card is running warmer, so it hits the trigger temp. the fan spins up and vibrates because it wobbles or frictions against the bearing.

You have to pinpoint which fan the sound is emanating from and, in the end it's either, warranty repair if poss or else you'll have to purchase a replacement fan and install it yourself if the warranty isn't an option, and you could also apply some fresh thermal paste while you're at it, mx-4 or whatever you've got, of the non-conductive variety. Grizzly cryonaught is one of the top performers in thermal pastes, but anything you have will get the job done too.

If you can still get a warranty repair it would be much preferable since replacement gpu fans can cost $20, if not it's a bit of a complex procedure to disassemble the card and replace the fan and also re-paste it, not terribly so but enough that you don't want to bodge it either. Here's a gtx 970 teardown vid. several are available on youtube if you need a guide to replace a fan and the thermal paste.

If it's the psu fan, it is not recommended to try and replace it, due to potential risk of electric shock from residual power, if you open it up and accidentally touch the components. Get a warranty replacement if poss. otherwise replace the unit entirely.

cpu fans/chassis fans are easily replaceable if a bearing is worn, though you'd hope they last longer than a mere 3 years, well I guess only the premium aftermarket fans have any decent mean time before failure.

Thanks alot for this response, I will check everything out!

TRENDING THREADS